damage to the undercarriage!

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible, it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".
What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts? The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.
What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.
What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?
And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 1:56:49 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Just pump the tires up to 500 PSI like that other poster recommended. That will solve the tire pressure problem and provide plenty of undercarriage clearance, preventing damage.

Run over the kerb most obviously. 4

But can end up a bit fucked if you run over the kerb at speed.

See above.

If you happen to damage the undercarriage - just activate the collision or comprehensive clause of your insurance - by hitting a tree or rolling it in the ditch .. or whatever - - then you'd be fully covered ! No worries ! You're welcome. John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us...

Sorry John T to Micky>>>
I have Micky blocked so I did not see the original post.
Hitting something that is laying on the highway like: landscapers toolbox, mufflers, truck tire treads, rocks, etc.
You could bust a half shaft, ruin a wheel or bearing or bend the tie rods or...
Micky you are still the same way. You ask a question that you could get a more accurate answer from another source-like your insurance agent.
--
Tekkie

He's got a knack for finding things out the easy way (by first hand experience)
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 15:30:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

That's an idea, all right, but I don't think it will work. The insurance will pay for the damage that's not undercarriage (except for the $500 deductible) but I'll still have to pay for the damage to the undercarriage. Like I say, it's not covered by insurance.

But you will be in hospital, and your lawyers will be suing the rental company for renting you an unsafe car - that had undercarriage damage that caused the accident ! No worries ! You're welcome. As an added bonus - you will have so much more time - while in hospital - to post all your ideas here in Home Repair - ... why the little tubes are different colours ; or why they use left-handed clipboards in Denmark, etc etc John T.

If I bought the CDW and I really believed that, if I did roll over a boulder that tumbled off a mountain in front of me and I thought they had undercarriage damage I would have to pay for. I would test the air bags. Within that "total", I doubt the undercarriage damage would be listed. I beat the crap out of rental cars so I usually buy the insurance. In South Dakota I put about 1300 miles on a 4wd Suburban on Forest Service roads. (Every road on the Rapid City "green map") They rented me a 4wd. Did they think I needed that to get from the airport to Mt. Rushmore?
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:48:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I did see a 4WD coming off the same road yesterday that I had so much trouble on the day before yesterday. He was zipping right along, but otoh I saw him driving on the end of the dirt road, and though dirt, that part was flat and didn't give me trouble either, but I had to go slow because I didn't know the road and didn't know what was coming next. He was probably a local. No rental car company sticker on his car.
They do rent 4WD's I think, but 98% of the time, I'm on nice paved roads where a sedan is more comfortable. (The rental company's local webpage ad shows people riding in a convertible, but it doesn't rent convertibles here!!)
Way back in 1990, my friend took me for a drive and even though very close to the city, she showed me a really scenic area with no civilization showing in the valley below, and I wanted to see the area and the view again. She doesn't remember what road it was, but I remember some geographic landmarks. So the road two days ago had a similar view, but her road was paved and Monday's road was not.
It came out on a paved road so i thought I'd found it. I went back yesterday and drove as if I'd turned right when I got off the dirt road, not left. The road was paved but only for a half mile (and a half mile with no view of the valley). Then it was back to dirt again. So I backed up, turned around, and did something else.

Write the dang thing off and there is no "undercarriage damage". Just make sure you do it on a paved road.

I have never heard them say that. When I buy the insurance they always tell me, no matter what happens I am covered. You should be since it is such a rip off.
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 5:29:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's a good point. I almost never take the insurance and I never read the fine print, but for what it costs, it really should cover undercarriage damage too.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:35:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The insurance definitely doesn't cover the undercarriage. They are specific and very clear. And there is no limit to how much one can be charged for damage, though I don't think I did any damage.
One is also not permitted to drive on iirc an unpaved road, and there are a lot of them here. Today the road started off unpaved but quite flat, then there were a few ruts caused by water run-off. Then when I left the park area, it was much worse, where the rain had eventually washed away all the dirt and only rocks were left. A real challenge to figure out which side of the road to drive on. I ended up driving 5 miles and almost a mile was just on rocks. It's a amazing the tires hold up**.
Somehow I didn't know all these rules 2 years ago. Life was better then. Ignorance is bliss.
It was dark by the time I parked so I haven't looked at even the side of the car, but I think it's okay.
**I did have a flat last year, but on a very quiet, totally smooth road. I couldn't figure out how to assemble the lug wrench so it took a longer time to unbolt and bolt the nuts and after 40 minutes a guy came by when I was almost done and finished up for me. And I was so tired I let him.
Last year I also hit a short post, scraped the plastic panel (lower corner of the front) and I think they only charged me $16***. But I know from others that they are not always that nice.
***There were 3 charges around $20, and one could have been filling the gas tank, another could have been my driving on a toll road (the toll plus the rental company's fee for figuring out who was driving their car that day.) They didnt' say what any of the charges were for, but the previous year, another company didn't even send a final invoice until I asked for one 9 months later. I had forgotten to note how many miles I'd driven.
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 6:32:50 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

The devil is in the details. Now that we know that, the undercarriage exception is starting to make sense.
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 17:28:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

"off road use not permitted" is a common rental condition. Some even say "no off pavement opperation" Off pavement or off road damage is not covered.

Be sure to read all the fine print ! My car insurance only covers rental cars in Canada & USA. Even the premium credit card coverage has limitations - example Ireland is excluded as are a few other countries. John T.
On 4/15/2019 8:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

In Italy, the rental company told me by law I had to have the insurance. Different rental companies, different airports so it may be true.

My Ontario autoinsurance covers me anywherre in the USA and CanadaJF I decline the CDW. One of my credit cards does too IF I pay the ENTIRE cost with that card AND decline the CDW from the rental company. If you don't drcline the CDW neither one can cover a cent. When I was in Austria and in the Canary Islands my insurance covered the CDW. I DO have "non owned vehicle cpverage"
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:54:48 -0400, Clare Snyder

There might be some of that here too. I think I remember hearing that, but it's certainly not on the webpage where you make the original reservation.

Wow.

My credit card would cover CDW, but only if I rented for less than 31 days. Even then, only for the first month. Even if I changed rental car companies after a month, they keep track of that, and even if I changed charge cards, they exclude that (and might keep track of it). Plus if I went below a month, like the last partial month of rental, I'd lose my monthly rate.
Plus even if you can do it, the rental company won't accept a printout of the credit card webpage that says your covered, probably because there are so many credit card plans (and webpages, and even more so printouts of webpages, can stay the same while actual plans change). All the rental companies insist on a letter addressed to the customer saying he is covered for CDW. I think this has to be a postal letter, so one has to remember to do this enough days before leaving home, but I know the credit card companies know what the rental companies want from them.

It certainly gets complicated.