Insurance Question Re Loss Of Tree Coverage On Homeowners Policy ?

Why not just do the obvious and check your policy? Different policies cover different things, and general advice in a newsgroup isn't going to tell you what your policy will cover.

You could also just call the agent, say you have X policy, and ask them if the cost of tree replacement is covered. You shouldn't even need to give the agent your name or policy number.

Reply to
Christian Fox

Hello:

Tried to find an appropriate insurance type forum, but couldn't come up with one. So, will try posting here.

Live in Mass. Had a very large tree planted on our lawn fall over in a windstorm. No house damage, just the loss of the tree.

Before contacting my insurance agent, was hoping to get some advice.

Would homeowners insurance cover the cost of obtaining a new one, and the replanting ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Wouldnt that be nice all the hurricane victims and thousands others would have free trees, maybe I could pull a few old ones down to, and gee maybe the insurance co would pay for that to

Reply to
m Ransley

If it does, you're either paying way to much for insurance, or soon will be.

If the tree smashes your roof in and totals your chimney-stack, THEN you contact your insurance company.

Reply to
Goedjn

If they paid for a policy that covered the tree, they deserve a replacement. They paid for that right when they paid for their policy. It is not a matter of being nice, it is a matter of getting what they paid for.

Now I do feel sorry for those who were given information that inferred they had more coverage than the insurance companies are now saying they bought. I don't feel sorry for those who failed to buy insurance because they felt it cost too much.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Very unlikely, unless you specifically paid for such coverage. Interestingly, my insurance covers lightning damage, but not wind. You can deduct the property loss from your income taxes; maybe.

Reply to
Toller

Even if you are covered; unless it was a very special tree and you want to replace it with a similar mature tree, it is likely that your deductible will be enough to remove it and plant a small new tree in its place. Even if the cost slightly exceeds the deductible it may not be worth a claim as they will get it out of you later by raising your CLUE score and eventually your premium. If you're handy and own or are willing to buy a chain saw, the cost could be quite low.

This isn't really a problem if you make one claim a decade (or so) but if they decide you or your property is prone to losses (even without a claim associated) they may rate you or your property as a high risk. The CLUE score is available to the next company you try to switch to as well as your present insurer.

Slightly off topic: Hypothetically if you were a flood victim and had no flood insurance but a tree smashed your home in the same hurricane, would you be covered that way or does the flood trump all other claims?

Reply to
PipeDown

I doubt it. (As another poster suggested, READ YOUR POLICY. Don't scare your agent unless he is an independent. He might pass the word to the insurance company.)

BIG trees are "accidents waiting to happen." If they fall down they can hurt your buildings, your cars, and even kill someone. When alive their roots can damage pipes and disrupt utilities and even damage foundations and paving. When they die, their roots rot away and can damage foundations and paving and utilities again!

The storm might have done you a favor. Unless you have a BIG lot, you don't want anything to do with BIG trees. If you plant "little" trees, cut them down when they about to become BIG trees.

Reply to
John Gilmer

You sound like my neighbor.. We live on former hay fields. He never planted a thing and lets his grass grow till it is 4 feet tall. Then he sends his son out to cut it in between beers.

Reply to
Steve Stone