Homeowners insurance accuracy of initial application?

Page 1 of 2
We're shopping around for homeowners insurance as it appears we can find policies these days a lot cheaper than the one we have (might have something to do with the real estate crash and insurance companies trying to boost their business). When I received the binder in the mail from our broker, I had to correct some details that he wrote down incorrectly. For example that the pool is in-ground (like I told him) and not above-ground (as in the app) etc. I told him that we have two dogs (both gentle breeds) but he just noted one of the dogs on the binder application. I haven't corrected the dog part yet and I'm not sure if I should bother to do so.
My question is, to what extent should I nit-pick about this form to have all the details 100% correct? I have the feeling that the broker is not as concerned about that as I am. But he has 1,000 times more knowledge about the homeowners insurance industry than I do. I am just concerned that if there is an incorrect detail if we have a major claim, like if the house burns down, then I don't want the insurance co. to refuse to cover it because of some "seemingly" trivial question on the original form is not correct.

*Better to have it in there then not. Make sure that you mention works of art, computers, TV's, stereos etc. Someone posted a response a few weeks ago here regarding a fire that a friend had. Based on his friend's experience he advised taking pictures of everything and putting them in a safe deposit box for insurance purposes. I thought that was excellent advice.
On Sat, 16 May 2009 19:34:38 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

Burn them to rewritable CD's and give a copy to a family member that doesn't live in the same end of town. Keep a copy of their's for them. They can be updated over and over. Safe deposit boxes are not cheap.

My safe deposit box costs $38 per year. Seems cheap to me. What do you consider cheap?
On Sat, 16 May 2009 20:41:00 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Family will keep a copy of a CD for free. Free is cheap! It's availible on weekends too! Day or night if need be. I also have a couple of fire safes in the house and live in a community with 24 hr. fire protection. So I can also keep a copy.

Or this... http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/productDetail.aspx?s '
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:02:44 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have a couple of safes much like those too. One uses combination to open, one a key. Both will withstand a fire for a couple of hours, so the paperwork states. I hope never to find out first hand.

Oops. Wrong URL. I meant to send people to the one for the fire/water resistant HARD DRIVE. http://preview.tinyurl.com/3kv95c
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

The back end of our house burned about 10 years ago and we had documents and pictures of household items in a fireproof box (see below). The fire burned through a bedroom floor and the box ended up in the basement but all pictures and documents survived. The box is a bit malformed and blackened but works and we still use it today.
http://tinyurl.com/7t36fk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/productDetail.aspx?s=1&WT.si_n=ShoppingCart&WT.si_p rtView

I noticed this in the ad. Not sure if it means what I think, but you may need it replaced.
"Lifetime after-fire replacement guarantee."
The fire profing may depend on the moistur in the insulating material between the walls of the safe. Once boiled out, it is not very efffective any more.

24 hour fire protection? Please describe in detail.
On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:16:51 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Firemen are paid to be at the fire house 24-7 not volunteers.

Oh. I thought you had some sort of unusual situation there.
RLM wrote:

CDs cost money. A Gmail address is free.
Gmail allows up to 8Gigs of storage (last I heard). Send an email to yourself with the pictures in a ZIP file attachement.
The documents are, like Elvis, out of the building. They are accessible anywhere to anybody with the password. They are easily updatable.
Where's the bad?
On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:10:03 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

I already own a dozen re-writeable CD's that can be copied and erased over and over like floppy discs. Nothing wrong with online storage. I offered it because I'm sure I'm not the only one that has them setting around.

Rewriteable CDs are getting harder to find - but rewritable DVDs are available everywhere (and for less than the rewriteable CDs.
On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:55:12 -0400, clare wrote:

I used to put Linux on the re-writeable CD's, so I've had them a long time. Now the Distro's are on DVD's so I use them now. Don't use the CD's much but they are great for this aplication.
Putting them online is something I hadn't thought about until it was brought up in this forum. I use a portable hard drive to backup 5 computers here at home also. I have over 10GB of USB fobs that use SD memory within arms reach that we use to share a lot of family pictures with family that lives out of state by mailing them back and forth.
Storage is what you have handy and is already payed for. Cheap to mail.
I've seen some good ideas in this thread.

Regular CDR's that are not rewriteable are actually more stable for long term storage. They are extremely cheap these days. You can burn an awful lot of standard CDR's for the price of one rewriteable, and they are more likely to be readable 5 or 10 years from now. If you really want to get silly, there are "medical CDR's" that are more expensive, but are stable for much longer.
My suggestion is to make several copies to standard CD's and keep them in a few locations. Keep a copy on your computer, too. Heck, one under the drivers seat of your car would probably be okay, too. Not the glove box, which gets much hotter.
No single storage method is completely secure. Best to have it stored in multiple places. A cd in your desk drawer at work, one at a friend or neighbor's house, etc.
Storing an additonal copy on your email account is nice, but even the biggest ISP's have had data disasters, and they have also changed hands and deleted accounts or discontinued service for no apparent reason. None of them are too big to fail or change.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:51:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Or "archival DVD"

On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:07:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, but the easiest way to find a source is to look for them as "Medical CD" or "Medical DVD"