OT, Human Population Through Time

This is a really cool animation showing the spread of humanity across the Globe. If you like history and such you may like this video. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Population Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Quite interesting, thanks.

It really shows the obscenity of human population growth. Some hope even if the leveling off point is twice the current population. What we need is half of current or even better, 1/4 of current. One can dream.

Reply to
dadiOH

The question is, will the human population follow overgrowth in other animal populations and suffer a disaster that leads to starting over? Hopefully we will stabilize our growth to prevent this.

Reply to
Frank

I don;t think you have to worry about that. Nuclear weapons are very likely going to solve that problem.

Reply to
trader_4

On 6/6/2018 6:09 AM, dadiOH wrote: ...

You volunteering to help?

Reply to
dpb

It would be a good idea to stop population growth though, for obvious reasons. But it won't happen. Govts today need faster growth to bail them out of all the obligations they have incurred.

Reply to
trader_4

That would be thanks to General Sherman, he kicked the Rebs to the curb.

Reply to
None

So you can accept that the world would be a better place had you never been born? I'm not sure how I feel about that as I enjoy every day I'm alive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There was a guy so mad at his parents for giving birth to him that he did not speak to them for two years.

Reply to
Frank

It's a moot point. It doesn't seem like human beings will be able to survive 180th as long as the dinosaurs reigned. We are either going to wipe ourselves out, poison the planet or succumb to a global pandemic.

Reply to
None

Read and learn:

Hence, that is how the Yankees got into Georgia.

Reply to
None

No, Californians, you won't be fined $1,000 if you shower and do laundry the same day BY RYAN SABALOW AND DALE KASLER snipped-for-privacy@sacbee.com

June 06, 2018 10:41 AM Updated 35 minutes ago No, Californians, it's not against the law to shower and do laundry on the same day ? even though loud voices in the conservative blogosphere are claiming it is.

Taking aim at two water-conservation laws signed last week by Gov. Jerry Brown, a conspiratorial far-right financial blog called Zero Hedge reported Sunday that Californians could be fined $1,000 a day if they bathe and wash their clothes on the same day.

"If you don't plan to comply it's going to be way cheaper to move," the blog post stated.

inRead invented by Teads The bogus information, which appears to have originated on a site called "The Organic Prepper," was widely disseminated on Twitter and Facebook, and cited by several conservative websites, including the Federalist Papers and Breitbart.

Latest news by email The afternoon's latest local news

Joe Walsh, a conservative radio host and former congressman with 139,000 Twitter followers, shared a link to the blog post Monday and added: "California is awful. Just awful."

Republican U.S. Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Tulare, didn't link to the post, but he expressed his frustration on his blog that Californians would face "draconian" showering and laundry restrictions because of "environmental extremists and the Democrats."

"Californians don't want to have to choose between doing their laundry and taking a shower," he said.

Those claims, however, aren't true. The shower and laundry police won't be knocking on doors anytime soon.

The two bills, AB 1668 and SB 606, set general guidelines for water agencies to follow in California's post-drought era.

Water agencies will be encouraged to have their customers limit indoor water use to an average of 55 gallons a day per person, declining to 50 gallons by 2030.

But that's just a target a water district will be asked to meet across its ratepayer base, as part of a broader "water budget" strategy.

Assemblywoman Laura Friedman, D-Glendale, author of AB 1668, accused Zero Hedge, Nunes and others of spreading "pure fiction."

"I wish people would stop scaring people with this sort of thing," she said. Under the bills Brown signed, individual water agencies will be required to factor in the 55-gallon target into their water-efficiency goals, but it's just one part of a utility's conservation calculations.

State regulators in consultation with local water agencies also will set limits on how much water can be used to water lawns and fill swimming pools. Outdoor use accounts for the lion's share of total residential consumption in much of California.

But those outdoor standards will vary greatly from one district to the next. The legislation allows for places like Sacramento with comparatively large yards and hot, dry summers to use more water outdoors than in foggy coastal regions where yards are small and cool weather lessens the need to water as much.

The new rules also encourage water providers to replace leaky infrastructure. Ancient pipes and crumbling water mains account for millions of gallons of wasted water statewide.

The idea behind the legislation is that all those factors ? the indoor standards, the limits on outdoor water use, making water systems more efficient ? will be built into a utility's "water budget."

"The only thing the water supplier is going to be measured on is, 'Are they within budget?'" said Max Gomberg, climate and conservation manager with the State Water Resources Control Board.

Zero Hedge claimed that Californians will get fined if if they shower and wash clothes on the same day because a single load of laundry will consume 40 gallons of water alone.

But that claim doesn't hold water either.

While 20 years ago, an inefficient top-loading washer might use 40 gallons, most high efficiency washers now use between 9 and 26 gallons per load, according to Consumer Reports.

Californians have been switching to these more efficient washers as their old machines wear out, along with their old shower heads, toilets and dishwashers, Gomberg said.

Plus, even if you have a 40-gallon washer, each person living in your household probably won't run separate loads of laundry every day. And, even if they do, their neighbor probably won't.

Remember, it's the average per capita water use across a district that counts.

All those factors combined is why Gomberg is optimistic that Californians can hit those targets.

Several cities, including San Francisco and Santa Cruz, already average less than 55 gallons per person per day for both indoor and outdoor use, he said.

Gomberg's home in the Bay Area uses 25 to 35 gallons of water per person daily, even with "a toilet that isn't ... even as efficient as some of the newer models, I'm embarrassed to say."

Gomberg said the 55-gallon figure isn't new. State lawmakers set it as the standard for indoor use almost 10 years ago, an amount that is greater than what's allowed in many European countries.

So what about those $1,000 fines ?

Eventually, the new legislation says water providers not following the rules could face fines of up to $1,000 a day, and more if the governor declares a drought emergency.

But it's the water agencies ? not individual ratepayers ? that would get the fines. Sure, a district could pass those costs onto your water bill, but think dollars and cents instead of thousands out of your bank account.

Read more here:

ZZyXX

I won't be around much longer. Besides, we - wife and I - already have. We have no children, decided 50+ years ago that there were enough people in the world.

Reply to
dadiOH

No, not better. But certainly no worse. I'm not a physician but I have made it a goal to follow the Hippocratic oath, "Above all else, do no harm". I think I have pretty much succeded in that. I have provided services people wanted at fair prices and done well. I have never consciously tried to take advantage of everyone; I have been kind to people and critters; I have helped those who needed help. I'm going out with a clear conscience..

Reply to
dadiOH

Fair enough. We have two kids, both adopted. We've been consumers, but not wasteful or carelessly damaging to the world.

Not everyone agrees with me but: Don't have kids if you cannot afford them Don't have kids if you cannot or do not want to take care of them yourself. My wife stayed home instead of paid daycare. Don't buy junk just because it is fashionable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree with you. We raised 3 sons in a similar manner and passed these values on to them. We achieved the American dream in that they are probably better off then we were/are. Our 2 granddaughters may be even better off.

Reply to
Frank

And yet population doubled since then. Your decision doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Reply to
Neill Massello

And the kid who at ten uttered his first words. "The soups cold." Asked why he never said anything before he answered "everything's been ok so far."

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I propose we cut off the penises of all male infants at birth. This must be done for the next 120 years.

Virgin Mary

Reply to
VirginMary

"To Serve Man" was an alien cookbook.