Cloned a human

Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now I wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" could be taken literally in a few years.

Reply to
BigWallop

I suppose we can hope that they don't use IMM as a master..... ;)

PoP

PoP

LOL !!! Yesser ee !!! Let's hope that mould was broken many years ago. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

As long as he didn't clone you wallop head we'll all be OK.

Reply to
PJO

Well, seemingly he completed the current known process for replacing DNA...

99.99999999 percent of all clone attempts fail miserably, and those that succeed produce malformed animals who tend not to live long. No reason humans should be any different.... Most experts agree cloning is currently, and for a long time in the future, impossible, simply because noone understands how the whole dna replication thing works. Scientists are just cutting and pasting to see what happens.
Reply to
Dave

"There's enough material here for an entire conference!! "

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

PoP wrote: :: On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:01:39 GMT, "BigWallop" :: wrote: :: ::: Well folks, that's a doctor claiming to have cloned a human. Now I ::: wonder if the saying "When god made you, he broke the mould" could ::: be taken literally in a few years. :: :: I suppose we can hope that they don't use IMM as a master..... ;) :: :: PoP ::

DUCK......, there's a Fatwah winging its way! ;-)

Reply to
Boaz

It'll give a whole new slant on the "Chicken & Egg" question!

Reply to
Boaz

My mould was broken while I was still in it, I think. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

I find it difficult to believe. He claims to have cloned a human from skin cells. Skin cells offer poor prospects for cloning because the cells are highly differentiated. The basal cells in the skin (a long way down) may be suitable because they are dividing rapidly but no one has seen much promise in cloning from those in any animal species let alone mammals.

As with all science, not impossible, but it sounds far fetched.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well if I don't read it I won't have to panic. And IMM remains killfiled for all time here.

PoP

PoP

I saw a report or documentary (can't remember which) on Dolly the Sheep some time ago.

One of the things that the scientists were concerned about was that Dolly had developed arthritis at about 6 years of age (IIRC), which is not normally a problem in sheep until nearer the end of their natural life.

What the scientists surmised was that the cloning process began the new life at the age that the parent was when the cloning operation took place, because (again, IIRC) the mother which provided the material for cloning was well into adulthood.

So if this is true then it is entirely possible that this d*****ad who has performed this cloning operation will produce a baby which has a physical age of some 30 years old (I don't know the actual age of the father in this case but they did say that the material was taken from a skin cell on his body).

If so, by the time this baby grows to 30 years old then it might need to be applying for its bus pass.

Personally I greatly appreciate the enthusiasm this good doctor has for helping life along. I think they should round him up and then use him as a laboratory guinea pig for new drugs and things - that should keep his enthusiasm high.

PoP

PoP

Don't get carried away. It's 97%. Sheep, pigs, goats, mice, cow and cat clones have all been sucessfully bred. And hopefully the technique will eventually bring back recently extinct animals.

Reply to
Suz

with some hideous consequences!

And hopefully the technique will eventually bring back recently extinct animals.

with even more hideous consequences!!!!!!

Reply to
J.Milton.Hayes

You obviously don't want perfection.

Reply to