OT - How Do I Estimate Amazon Return Shipping Cost?

I am considering buying a miter saw on Amazon. The saw does not denote Free Returns on the product page.

If I don't take advantage of the free shipping, the cost for shipping and handling would be ~$64. Since this a large item (Listed by Bosch at 64 lbs, Amazon at 78) I'd like to know upfront what it might cost me to return the item.

Can I use the $64 S&H amount as an reasonable estimate? It is not clear to me how the return would be handled. This page simply lists the Return Shipping Methods but I don't know how to determine which one would apply to this order.

Any ideas how I can figure this out up front would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

According to one of the Customer Questions for this item, at

the ship weight is 78 lbs, pkg is 30x23x22

As an example, plugging these dimensions and weight into UPS's cost estimator, from CT to CO, the cost for UPS Ground would be $128. Ouch ;-) Due to its size and weight (aka dimensional weight) it is "billed" as 92 lbs.

Reply to
Retired

I had to return a few items in the past through Amazon and every time the shipping was covered after they sent me the return postage label via email. Though, I never bought anything as big as the saw, I can't say with certainty that's what will happen.

I would contact them and ask, to be certain.

Reply to
Meanie

Amazon gets discounts that you won't so the cost to return is more than what they pay. Didn't you have the same price from Lowe's? If I was unsure I was keeping it I'd buy from them so you can just take it back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lowes can't deliver until 1/27. Amazon Prime would be 1/17, maybe 18 if I wait until tomorrow. Of course, I'm in the middle of a project.

One of the things that I read on the Amazon site said something about deducting return shipping costs from the refund, so I'm wondering if they would send a pre-paid shipping label, which I assume (hope) would be at their discounted rate. The site I linked to listed those various return methods but I couldn't find any place that explained which method applies when.

As you know, more than one person recommended that saw so odds are I'll keep it, but I'd still like to know what I would be on the hook for if I had to return it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I saw that and found it interesting. Amazon lists the Product Dimensions as "30.2 x 21.5 x 23 inches". That sort of doesn't make sense. You can't fit a 30.2" product into a 30" box. Maybe they rounded down the shipping dimensions and that is what they are using as the "Product Dimensions" also.

On the other hand, Bosch lists the dimensions as Length 32.0", Width 26.5".

That leads me believe that there is some assembly required and that Amazon is equating Product Dimensions with Shipping Dimensions.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I called Amazon (3 times) and finally got someone who could explain the return process to me. Luckily, the 3rd person was the best (at least she seemed to be) and she was able to explain to me, in detail, how it works.I hope she is right, because I just ordered the saw.

First, I want to give Amazon props for one item: I called 3 times, one right after the other. Once I went through the call prompt menu, I was never on hold for more than a minute. Nice!

OK, here is the situation related to Return Shipping Charges:

1st Criteria: If the item is fulfilled by Amazon, there *might* be zero return shipping charges. If the item is fulfilled by a seller, the return charges will be up to them. This item meets the Amazon fulfillment criteria. So far, so good. 2nd Criteria: What is the reason for the return? This is where it got interesting.

Rep #1:

When I told the first rep that if I returned it, it would be because I didn't like it, not because of any fault of Amazon. "Oh, in that case you would have to pay the return shipping cost. I can not give you an estimate until you request the return and we determine who the carrier will be."

Rep #2:

"There will be no return shipping charge regardless of the reason that you want to return it. Just contact us and we will issue a pre-paid shipping label."

Rep #3:

When I called the 3rd time, I expla Reps #1 and #2 were both correct, but they just didn't explain it very well.

If I try to process the return by logging into my Amazon account and choosing the "I no longer want this item" option, I will be charged a return shipping fee. However, if I *call* them and tell them that the "item does not meet my expectations" they will issue a pre-paid return label and either arrange for pick up or tell me which carrier I should take the item to. In the case of a large item, such as this miter saw, they would probably arrange for pick up.

She added that there *might* be a re-stocking fee, but it wouldn't be more than $15-$20. I can either order the saw from Lowes (same price), wait until 1/27 for delivery and return it for free or order it from Amazon for delivery on 1/17, taking a chance on a $20 restocking fee. Since I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to wait 10 extra days, I'll take that chance.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You need to read the product description carefully. There are three types of sales on Amazon:

- Sold and shipped by Amazon

- Sold by a third party, shipped ("Fulfilled") by Amazon

- Sold and shipped by a third paty.

If the product has a defect and was sold by Amazon, Amazon will usually cover return shipping. If it's just that you don't like it, or changed your mind, you get to pay return shipping. The terms for each type of sale are different.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Read my earlier post about what I was told by Amazon customer service. There are apparently ways around even their own rules.

Reply to
DerbyDad03