ot - General Mtrs becoming China Motors

Sorry, but this is such an astounding vid clip with the GM CEO making a speech in China about GM's moving plants to China, that I just thought it should be seen by more people.

OMB

Does not bother me. It's a world economy. What bothers me are those that refuse to buy any car without an American nameplate, i.e. GM, Chrysler or Ford. Last US car I bought was a Ford, made in Mexico and it was crap and I had to sue Ford and the dealer for repairs that should have been done under warranty.

Reply to
Frank

Per OMB:

I have to wonder about the clip maker's agenda.

They say something to the effect of "70% of vehicles manufactured by GM since the 2008 bailout have been manufactured outside of the USA." - as if that had some special significance in the context of GM being a global corporation with global sales.

If the vid had cited the percent of vehicles sold within the USA yet manufactured outside of the USA, it might have passed the sniff test... but it did not and made it sound to me like somebody had an agenda.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank:

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger. My Suburban was hecho en Mexico and I've got a little rant of my own about the lack of build quality.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

What about GM vehicles made in Canada - but sold in the USA, Canada, and/or other countries?

GM Models currently or recently made in Canada:

  • Buick Regal * Chevrolet Camaro * Chevrolet Equinox * Chevrolet Impala * GMC Terrain * Cadillac XTS * Buick Allure (2005?2010, rebadged Buick LaCrosse for Canadian market) * Pontiac G3 Wave (2005?2008, from 2009 offered in United States and Mexico as well.) * Pontiac Montana SV6 (2005?2009)

As of Apr. 24, 2009, GM Canada has received a combined loan commitment of C$3 billion from the Canadian and Ontario governments to help it deal with major financial problems amid falling sales.

On 27 April 2009, GM Canada announced that it would cut over half of its Canadian jobs and close 40% of its Canadian dealerships by 2014 in response to its indirect parent company's dire financial straits as the Canadian taxpayers gave them 10.6 billion. The Canadian Government owns

12% of General Motors Corporation stock today.
Reply to
General Man