OT: Do You Believe In Coincidences?

Captain Crunchers. School seems to just be a bother for some of these guys. I don't think Snowden had much formal education but he certainly was a force to be reckoned with.

Reply to
Robert Green

You fail to admit that you miss working at that McDonalds so much, that you spend a few hours every day driving around the street that it sits on..... You might even be doing this in your sleep and not realize it. That's because Ronald McDonald owns your soul!

Answer this: How many times per day do you crave a Big Mac?

Reply to
stoner

It would have to be a long sleep. I now live close to 500 miles from that McDs.

McDoubles, no pickles, no ketchup.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Six degrees of KB was a game where you figured our how you were somehow "connected" to Kevin Bacon thru no more then six layers of friend, relatives, or other connections (both bought a car from LaBrea Chevy in Hollywood) to him. Surprisingly many people were able to make a connection.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

e to a neighboring state. They lived near two very small towns, the larger being around 6,000 population. One of the friends they made, turned-out to be neighbors (who they never knew) that lived directly behind them, across the alley. They had a cyclone fence and shrubs...so, even as kids we never saw inside their yard!

before they "met" at college. The parents (us) also knew each other (and t he kids) way back then.

I know what 6D of KB refers to. What I don't know is why you brought it up in this instance.

I was discussing a situation where childhood friends reconnected after ~15 years but didn't know it until their parents told them after figuring it out 4 years after t he kids reconnected.

How is 6D of KB relevant to this situation?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wow.

I went to college in Chicago, and at the end of the summer decided to drive to Montreal for Expo '67, with 2 other guys. Parked elsewhere, on the street, and took the subway to the expo.

When I got back to Chicago, a friend from Silver Spring Maryland said he went to Expo '67 from Maryland and parked right behind my car in Montreal. Even though he'd never seen it, he recognized the U of C decal, the fraternity decal, and that it was a '50 Olds. He should have left me a note, but he knew I was there.

Better yet, when I left Chicago for NYC, I took the speedometer off a bicycle before I sold the bike. 3 or 4 years later, I went to install the speedo on my bicycle, but the heavy wire inside the cable inside was missing. How could I have lost it, I was very careful. A couple months later, I went to my parents' home in Allentown, Pa. and my mother said, "Do you want this?" It was a cable of just the right length, with just the right thing on each end. One end was square. She and my step-father were walking to their car in a shopping center parking lot and she found it on the ground. and picked it up and my s-f said, What do you want that for? Micky might want it. And I did!!!

Reply to
micky

I forget what Charles Percy, later a US Senator, did for money in college, but he was making a lot of it. The U of C told him, "You're just the kind of person we don't want here. "

Reply to
micky

I was in Montreal when they were building Expo. I drove down the street where you parked and saved a spot for you. We were there in Sept. of 66.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I appreciate it. Yes, it was still empty August of '67.

Reply to
micky

Only a photographer would know about such things.

Wright? WRIGHT? Rev. Wright? Are you a secret operative for the Dems? (-:

International Hellraisers?

International Hellraisers On Peyote?

George Orwell's year of doom!

A lot of married/spoken for women seem to like to flirt with guys to get their mates revved up (or, in your case, possibly killed!) I've got more than one of those stories since I (as is sounds like you) was the kind of person they liked to flirt with. I started dating a beautiful woman in college (way above my paygrade, if you know what I mean). One day, we're walking along the quad when someone bumps into me VERY roughly. After a few seconds Lynn says: "This is my EX boyfriend, Al." Al did not have a happy look on his face and a few weeks later Lynn went back home to Watertown and was never seen again.

It's possible she stuck a note to your back that said "I am Ken Eto."

Back in the day when my business partner Steve felt it was his personal duty to screw every married woman he could bed, one of the cuckholded husbands came to studio with a big butcher's knife asking for Steve. Shortly after that, we all had T-shirts printed up that said "I am NOT Steve."

Reply to
Robert Green

...snip...

I won't say anything bad about this one guy I work with, but if we were in that situation we'd be wearing T-shirts that read:

"That's Steve ----->"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Young women can be dangerous that way. I even think they can influence your college grades. So, since were on that subject... The next semester, in the same school, I sat next to Miss Chicago in a physics class, who took a shine to me. She would follow me around like a puppy, and actually insist on giving me a ride to the other end of the parking lot at the end of our class, which was my last of the night. I got to school late and had to park on the edges, and she was always close to the building. She had an all white Riviera - nice car. Don't know how it sounded over 10 mph though. Silly, but I enjoyed the 50-100 yard ride. Thing was the physics professor was her uncle, or father's best friend. I never quite got it. They were Greeks and it was a close community. He wasn't appreciative of this Anglo getting all his apparent ward's attention, telling from his glances. Well, I aced that class in every way. I was really surprised he gave me a "B." I figure he down graded me because of Miss Chicago, who had a perfectly innocent mini-infatuation. Or it could have been because of the time he was waxing about the metric system, and I posed the scenario - perfectly plausible to me - of measuring time metrically. He was rendered nonplussed. A rote teacher, apparently.

LOL. Never entered my mind. BTW, I had an obnoxious typing teacher in that school, who would question students in detail about missing class. Power tripping. I missed a class, and when he did the roll, he asked me why. I said "I was fishing." That shut him up. The guy never said a word to me until he saw me in the hallway with Miss Chicago, and he was all over me when I walked into his class, like I was his best friend. "Vic, is that your girlfriend? What's her name?" What an asshole.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I hope she's okay.

Did I miss a post? What did you do?

Reply to
micky

The odds are high.

Tonight on NBC TV news, they had a story about two Korean ophans, sisters, from 40 years ago, so they weren't war ophans, just regular orphans.

And they were each adopted by American families, but different ones.

One lived in Kentucky, the other in Virginia.

But they both moved to Sarasota Florida. They were both nurses and they got jobs at the same hospital, same floor, same shift. They used to eat lunch together and hang out

One day they talked about before they were adopted and their names were changed, and one asked the other what her family name was, and she said Shin. And the first said, My name was Shin.

"The coincidences began stacking up immediately: Korea, the missing family, ?abandonment? listed on orphanage paperwork, adoption to Americans. ?Holly would come up to me and say something like ?Guess what? Meagan?s maiden name was the same as mine,?? says Bennett. ?I thought, well, that?s interesting, but I still wasn?t getting it.?

Meagan and Holly would go to lunch together, meet after work, and compare notes on their dramatic similarities. Holly: ?I was like, this is too good to be true. I said we?ve got to do the DNA test, it?s the only way we?ll get the truth out of the whole thing.? Holly ordered DNA kits from Canada and the orphans did mouth swabs. Holly dispatched the samples to Canada in early August.

The lab results returned to Holly via email on the afternoon on Aug. 17. She was on jury duty. The match was positive.

?I?m like, this can?t be,? Holly recalls. ?I was trembling, I was so excited, I was ecstatic.? Holly called the lab for verbal confirmation. Then she texted Meagan. Meagan didn?t reply immediately. Holly called the fourth floor, shared the news, left the message for Meagan. And she reached out again."

Actually, you have to read the article. It tells it better than I can.

It ends with some other short examples.

I know that genetics is important. My friend raised by his mother and the brother raised by his father both have the high-end audio gene, and both buy Marantz amplifiers. Just kidding.

Reply to
micky

Steve went on to buy a Colt Python after the butcher knife incident and we set about looking for a new partner.

Reply to
Robert Green

Hell yes.

They handle pretty poorly over 110mph. (-: DAMHIKT Mine had a neat revolving drum speedometer that unlike traditional dials, didn't really shout out the speed to you. I ended up riding on a Signal 13 (officer in trouble) call in the Riviera, following police cars going substantially faster with bad rings that fogged the road ahead in blue smoke. I saw a guy nosing out of an intersection ahead, tapped the brakes and realized by how little I slowed that braking wasn't going to get me out of any upcoming trouble. Fortunately the blue lights and sirens of the parade of cars heading to the scene of the 10-13 made the driver stay in place.

The Riviera was so heavy that when it hit a dip in the road, it sort of lifted up in the air. I ran on that call "code 3" mostly to see if what my J-prof said was true: "When cops get a 10-13 call they drop everything to head towards the officer in distress." He said you could run stop signs, stop lights, speed and probably rob a bank without any police intervention. No one hassled me for joining the high-speed parade and probably thought I was an off-duty cop in his private vehicle that heard the distress call.

Hey, I had a crush on the beautiful delivery *girl* for the Vietnamese restaurant I liked. God knows how much banh mi I ate just to get to talk to her for a few minutes at a time. Short encounters have a mystique all their own.

I don't know of a more closely-knit nationality. They all know each other. My dad's boss was Greek and he knew Telly Savalas and was related to Maria Callas, the opera singer.

I can imagine. You weren't of the tribe.

I always wondered: If you can be nonplussed, can't you be plussed?

Stinkchronicity.

I think kept women like to flirt to remind their keeper that they still have options.

Hey, he was a typing teacher. He was already deep in hell before you came along. (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

I saw that! What went through my mind is "didn't they realize how much alike they looked?" As soon as I saw the tease for the item during a preceding commercial break I noticed how much they looked like each other.

Reply to
Robert Green

It's all coincidence.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No, they don't look alike, not at all. They had different mothers. You must have looked at two other people. In some (all?) views of one of them she doesn't even look Asian.

P&M because this is really important!

Years ago I saw another story about a girl and her mother reunited, who also took a while to recognize they were related. One was a grocery cashier and the other a customer and they met that way.

Reply to
micky

Vic Smith posted for all of us...

Enough of the back story. In Klinton terms did you ever have relations with that girl?

Reply to
Tekkie®