(OT) Computer Monitor flickers

Computer Monitor flickers. It almost looks like a florescent light before they burn out. The picture is clear, but it constantly flickers (dims and brightens). It's a Flat screen LCD Acer 8193w. (or is that a193w) (my eyes aint so great anymore).

I believe all the older flat screen LCD monitors have a florescent bulb inside, where as the newest are LED. (This is an older monitor).

I'm suspecting the bulb. I'm not sure how hard they are to replace or if bulbs are available.

This problem IS NOT the computer or video cable. I plugged in two other working monitors onto that same cable and they work fine.

Reply to
Paintedcow

The cold cathode flourescent tubes are available and changing them isn't rocket science - but you do have to get right down into the guts of the display panel, and it IS possible to screw up the whole thing.

Sometimes it's not the tube itself but the inverter that causes the flicker. The last one I fixed was on a laptop about 15 years ago when laptops were expensive and money was short. The tubes were about $30? back then, and the inverters about $50. The inverters for sure are less money today. Ebay has them around $10 -specific ones for specific monitors will likely be more. I see they also have 10 17 inch tubes for $36 with free shipping from China.

Reply to
clare

Most likely a193W...I've found these (19") from $2 to $30 at garages sales. I heard it's easy to mess-up the reflective material and get uneven brightness, on a repair like that.

Reply to
bob_villain