(OT) Cellphone App that amazes me

I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone, pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...
I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox, and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....
I have to admit, I was impressed!
It's getting to the point that I have to ask what CANT these phones do, rather than ask what they CAN do.... I've even seen a special doorbell advertised which shows who is at your door. Not only when you're in the house, but anywhere you are. That's crazy, but I have to admit, it's kind of cool. The only lacking feature is the shotgun that pops out of the wall when a salesman or burgular comes to the door.
This same guy then walked over to a pool table and set his phone in the middle of the table. A circular level appeared, and he checked to see if the table was level (it was slightly off).
Last summer while camping, someone pointed their phone at the sky, and it showed all the constellations and their names. Very cool!
I also heard they have an app that will tell a person their blood-alcohol level. I'm not sure how it senses that though.
I just have a basic flip-phone, and I dont really want a smartphone just for calls and the few texts I send, but I'd almost consider getting one just for some of the apps they can have.
Maybe when they come up with an app, that saws a 2x4 in half and includes a screw gun, electronic hammer, cooks my dinner, cleans my house, and washes my dishes, I'll get one!
Who knows, maybe in the future, they will make a cellphone that even takes care of it's owners sexual needs.... but I wont go into detail on that!!!
On 3/25/2016 8:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Two cell phone aps, I'd like to see. 1) Explains what women really mean when they say some thing like "Oh, it's all right" or "whatever you want, dear." 2) Explains why Hillary! and Bernie Sanders voters think that Hillary! or Bernie policies will be good for America.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Shazam is the app. I had it loaded on my phone at one time, but after the novelty of playing with it, I never used it.

Costco is selling that video doorbell for $180. I guess it has some advantages, like if a burglar is ringing your doorbell prior to breaking in when you're away. But not enough utility there to make it attractive for me.

I have that on my phone.

I didn't know about that one. A friend has an electronic viewing device that you sight through, get the crosshairs on the target of interest, push a button and it tells you what it is. Works in reverse too, you can look up planets, stars, select one and it will direct you via arrows in the viewing port to where it is in the sky.

I wound think it would require some kind of plug-in, attachment, etc.

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with, you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access, even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it was more of an issue.
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:25:57 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Shazam *may* have been the app. There are others that do the same thing.
I use SoundHound. I have it on the home screen of my phone and will often tap it when I hear a song/artist on the TV that I like but don't recognize.
For example, Suits often plays short snippets of modern/obscure songs. Many shows do. It's a marketing thing. Since I don't listen to a lot of commercial radio, I am not as up to date as I used to be. If I like a song, I'll tap SoundHound, identify the artist and then use Pandora or YouTube to listen to more of the artist/genre.
YouTube allows me to hear more of the same artist, Pandora introduces me to similar artists within the same genre.
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 3:02:06 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd like to disagree with I just said, re: It's a marketing thing.
After I thought about it for a second or two, I realized that some of the artists I've been introduced to are not commercial successes and may never be.
I think that someone on the show (a writer, a producer, an actor, etc.) just liked the song/lyrics and used it on the show. There are some really good yet very obscure artists out there.
On 3/25/2016 8:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi. In fact, one can use an old cell phone without service in WiFi areas with full functioning apps. There are many app tools which don't even require connection such as that level. It's just a handy tool to have within the phone.
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 10:31:45 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

While what you say is true, let's make sure we are clear for those that are "amazed" by these cell phone apps.
There are certainly apps that do not a require a network connection to run, but you obviously need a network connection to get them on the phone on the first place - assuming that they didn't come with the phone.
In addition, there are basically 3 types of apps: full functionality without a network connection, limited functionality without a network connection, and no useful functionality without a network connection.
So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all available apps.
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 10:38:30 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1
Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection. Others like the bubble level, will.
Oren posted for all of us...

It's mandated by the FCC that even unsubscribed cells get 911.
Also at our police station we take cell phones of any ilk; working or not and send them to an organization called Cellphones for Vets. The Vets get calling cards to use to call home. It's legit.
--
Tekkie

On 3/26/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Obviously, much depends on the app and it's use. The initial install of an app with WiFi isn't an ordeal and a one time procedure and as I stated, no provider is needed. If someone wants an app to search prices, locations, distances or any type of updated service while on the move. then yes, a data connection will be needed IF NOT within WiFi connecting area. Otherwise, it can still be obtained via WiFi when/if they stop where that connection is available.
There are many apps which are not a subset and offer great use without any connection. I use many of them. I have an iPad without data and take it with me everywhere. I obviously don't use it while driving but the apps within offer many advantages and usage without connection.
I'm stating this because it appears you are displaying a negative impact on apps as a whole when they can offer great conveniences. My apologies if I'm wrong. Overall, it's up to the user to do their own investigation.
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 12:46:55 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

First, no one said installing an app over WiFi was an "ordeal".
Second, a provider is most certainly needed. WiFi is a network connection and someone must *provide* that network connection. You don't need a data plan from a data plan provider, such as Verizon or Sprint, but you do need a network connection provider, even if you aren't paying for it.

Perhaps you don't know the meaning of "subset".
subset - a part of a larger group of related things. - a set of which all the elements are contained in another set.
If we consider the "set" to be every app in the universe of apps, then a subset is any smaller group of apps contained within that set.
"All apps that require a network connection for full functionality" is a subset of the set of all apps.
"All apps that give you driving directions" is a subset of the set of all apps.
"All apps that tell you if a surface is level" is a subset of the set of all apps.
Oh, I almost forgot: "All apps that do not require an network connection to work" is a subset of the set of all apps.

As do most of us.

And those apps are a subset of the set of all apps.

While there was no real need to apologize, I have no idea how you got the impression that I was "displaying a negative impact on apps as a whole".
First off, grammer-wise, I'm not even sure what "displaying a negative impact" means. Did you perhaps mean "portraying a negative image"?
If that's the case, then I still have no idea how you got the impression that I was being negative in any manner. All I did was point out that apps that don't require a network connection for full functionality are a small subset of all available apps. That's not a negative, it just is.

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 10:31:45 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Well, as I said, in the past you did if you wanted to use that smartphone on Verizon. They would not put a smartphone on their network without you subscribing to one of their data plans. You could not use their network for only voice/text and go wifi for data. I saw plenty of other people complaining about similar policies from other major carriers. And as I said, that policy may have changed, but that's what it was about 2 1/2 years ago when I left Verizon.
On 3/26/2016 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If you're referring to still using the phone for it's main purpose (or maybe not so much anymore) of calling, then you're correct, Verizon wouldn't allow that. But if you upgraded to a new phone, for example, and you have your old one without connection, it's still functional for many many uses. Camera, games, apps not requiring OTA data, videos, books, GPS/navigation, calculators, conversions and the list goes on.
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Yes, you need a data plan with most carriers in order to get voice service, but that doesn't make a smartphone without a plan useless. (You may know this, I'm just sharing.)
There is a difference between activating a phone on a carrier's network and using it to access the internet. I have a Verizon data plan for my main smartphone. I also have TWC which provides my internet access and WiFi at home. I have an older smartphone that I still use to access the internet without it being on any carrier's network.
For example, the old phone typically lives in my shop where I use it to listen to Pandora, Tune-In radio, youtube, surf the web, etc. It's attached to an old stereo system through the headphone jack. No plan, it's basically a low end tablet.
If I wanted to, I could use it for VoIP and get "voice service" to.
On 3/26/16 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

This is changing the discussion somewhat. The OP was ANY kind of Internet Access, even Wifi. If all you want is Wifi, then you aren't on Verizon's network and that is easy (after all that is essentially what the iPods are). Now if you want to get one from Verizon, I can see the problem. But we have a bunch of iPhone 4 handsets that have been replaced by newer ones and we still use the 4s for Pandora and other Internet uses.
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 3:44:37 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

The OP's post was about Shazam and similar interesting apps, not about how you access the internet on a smartphone. The discussion changed long before I entered it.

Sure, you can do that. But the vast majority of people are purchasing and using smartphones for use as a cell phone on a cell phone network, ie they need that as a key requirement. And just a few years ago, you couldn't put a smartphone on the Verizon cell network for voice only or voice and text and then use wifi for internet. You had to have a data plan. That was a big issue for many people. It was for me. If I could have done that, I would have switched to a smartphone much earlier and relied on using it at a hotspot for the occasional times I needed internet accesss. But I wasn't going to have one voice phone with Verizon, then buy another smartphone and carry it around, use it only for internet for the once in awhile that I might need it. That doesn't fit my usage model. I can see how it might fit some people's model, but it's not the mainstream usage for smartphones. The vast majority of smartphones are being used with a cell phone plan on a cell phone carrier's network.
That's why I posted:
Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with,

http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-schottgunn.html
On 3/25/2016 8:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Never thought I'd use my phone as much as I do. I too often find myself waiting for my wife at the doctor's office or the like and little to do. I can read the news, check the weather, read my email, check accounts at financial institutions, etc.
I also use a sound meter to check noise levels in the shop, take photos of things I'd not normally think of. Like the label I can't read on a motor, or the model number of an appliance where my head does not fit to read it easily.
It can be a toy that wastes a lot of time, but it can be a useful tool that can save time.
On 3/25/2016 9:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like the photo, text, groundhog, and game apps!
--
Maggie

my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.
why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..
she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....