OT - California Power Outages 2000/2001

TinyURL was created! The following URL:

has a length of 116 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:
Sept. 8, 2011: SAN DIEGO - Millions of people on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border were left without power Thursday after a major outage that extended from Arizona to southern California, including San Diego, the eighth largest U.S. city.

"To my knowledge this is the first time we've lost an entire system,".

The outage started before 4 p.m. PDT extended from southern parts of Orange County to San Diego to Yuma, Arizona. It also is affecting cities south of the border across much of the state of northern Baja.

All outgoing flights from San Diego's Lindbergh Field were grounded and police stations were using gener- ators to accept emergency calls across San Diego County.

Residents in parts of eastern San Diego County and Yuma, Ariz. endured sweltering temperatures with no air conditioning.

"It's 113 degrees right now outside and 75 in my office," said Yuma city spokesman Greg Hyland, who was sitting in the dark, answering calls.

1.4 million customers may be without power until Friday.

transmission failure that started at a large switching station in Arizona, where several high-voltage lines come together.

"I suspect the system was overwhelmed by too many outages in too many places,"

In the desert heat of the Palm Springs area, the temperature was 111 on Thursday, with the rolling blackouts.

The Eisenhower Medical Center will serve as an oasis of air conditioning since it operates on its own power source. Hospital welcomed fragile seniors and others affected by the heat to cool off in their lobby.

In southern Orange County, the sheriff's department dispatched deputies to busy intersections because traffic lights were out, said John McDonald, a sheriff's spokesman. Outages were confirmed in San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano and Laguna Hills, he said.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormy's Post prompted me to post this.

Recently saw a documentary on TV titled:

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Good piece of it was how blatant Enron people bought stock/options, purposely shut Calif power down to spike power prices then sold to make millions. I mean they has audio of the people laughing as they shut stuff off. Conversations to the effect of caller: How about shutting down xxxxxx with call recipient responding: Oh yea sure, no problem.

An eye opener for me.

Reply to
Red Green

You've got to wonder why California is buying power from Arizona.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stopping by the Hoover dam, where I thought California got most of the power, we were told that hydroelectric is much less than that generated by nuclear plant(s) in the area.

Googling got this as first hit:

Reply to
Frank

That's very possible. I had thought it was the environmentalists and the attorney types who were (are) responsible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not "very possible" .... it is exactly what happened.

They manipulated the power market by restricting production and then took advantage of the "price spikes".

They were crooks. A lot got exactly what they deserved ......long prison sentences & loss of personal wealth.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of collateral damage.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

All of Nevada uses less than a quarter of Hoover Dam's output. California uses more than half of the electricity generated by Hoover Dam (the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California uses almost 30% by itself, Los Angeles another 15%).

Reply to
HeyBub