OT blood tests for annual physical

OT. I had to get a blood test today and they had a sign that said medicare rules have changed and it no longer pays for blood tests for annual physicals.

But online I seem to see that it does pay for wellness visits. What is the diffeence?

OTOH, since I have supplemental, could it be that's what's been paying, not medicare at all. Or is it just that I haven't had an annual physical since hte rules changed?

Reply to
micky

I'd have to say Yep probably but maybe not in your case. Always happy to help. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My doctor has me get a blood test every three months so the so called "annual physical" is just another visit with a few more questions on a form. Never paid for the test as medicare and my supplement take care of it.

I'm also past the age for prostate exams. I miss them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seems to me the wellness visit is just a bunch of questions to see if you can take care of yourself or need help. Mainly a mental check up.

The physical is actual medical test such as the blood work to see how well your body is holding up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Pure Medicare might not pay it but the insurance you buy to fill in the gaps might. Quest, LabCorp (or whoever you use) should be able to tell you based on the card they have on file. My Advantage plan has always paid for my labs.

Reply to
gfretwell

At one point, my doctor said I was too fat to do a prostate exam.

He retired a year later. I wasn't any fatter than before. I think he'd just gotten tired of scientific pursuits.

Reply to
micky

Medigap, and you make a good point. I had just about decided that the supplemental paid for these thigns (because the sign said that Medicare didn't) but you're right. It's only the final 20%.

I went to a different branch of the same blood testing lab and they had this sign. I asked about it but she didn't really answer.

I googled a litle before I posted but I will look some more.

I might also read the form Medicare sends, quarterly I think, after I cause all those expenses, but I hate reading those forms.

Reply to
micky