OT: Blocking Gmail domain?

Just wondering but is anyone here using Gmail? There's so much spam hitting from there, I was thinking to block the whole domain and be done with it.

Reply to
cshenk

Using Outlook Express' Find feature, I came up with over 800 messages from gmail users, most of which looked useful, based on a quick glance at the list of subject headers. I think that answers your question.

Now, you'll still find that many gmail users are baffled by the interface they use to view the group. They sometimes respond to the wrong person in a thread, or they show up 3 weeks after a thread is dead. But, that's another issue.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gmail or Google Groups? Not quite the same thing. You can have a Groups account without a working Gmail account. I keep a groups account to use while traveling, rather than mess with setting up a newsreader on whatever box I am borrowing.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I block all Google Grouper's. See

. MSOLE has no way to do it natively so you'll need to get NewsProxy. See threads in news.software.readers for help getting it running.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Just the *.gmail.com senders but a check shows I'll be blocking a really good poster in another newsgroup if I do that. Too bad. Seems that 9 of 10 spams I get, come from *.gmail.com. You see a few from yahoo etc, but not much.

Reply to
cshenk

What effect does email blocking have on newsgroup posters? Unless you're using a horrid web-based usenet access method.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think he meant blocking usenet messages which CONTAIN a certain email domain. These messages aren't really "email", but they contain a domain name (even if it's a fake one sometimes).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Easy, set a filter for the group, then a filter to allow the good poster.

If you have a good news reader, and you subscribe to a dozen groups, it's much easier to turn on the cross posting filter. The spammers cross post, and as an added benefit you also catch the infamous trolls ;-)

-- larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

I am.

Bob F

Reply to
Bob F

"HeyBub" wrote

Its OE and it works that way. I know it's not the fanciest way to read, but it's functional.

Reply to
cshenk

Google is one of the worst spammers online. Thats how they pay their top employees a 6 digit salary every year, so we can all use their crappy search engine, which contains at least 50% dead or obsolete links.

Reply to
garypost82