OT? auto shutoff iron

Sorry if this is the wrong n/g but cud not find one for small appliances.

What is the theory of how the iron shuts off? I have an "older" Black & Decker & want to know how it works.

Big thanks.

DeWayne to auto reply remove the x from my address below snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

Reply to
dc

Magic.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one.)

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

I have a board here that I salvaged from my mom's iron when it went out. The main feature is a programmable timer IC, NTE4541B. This timer switches a relay to turn the iron on and off. I'm not sure how the iron knows it is moving, the board only has 4 incoming wires, 2 line voltage and 2 relay.

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber

DeWayne:

D > Sorry if this is the wrong n/g but cud not find one for small D > appliances. D > D > What is the theory of how the iron shuts off? I have an "older" Black D > & Decker & want to know how it works.

My guess would be an "activity timer". Perhaps along the lines of a mercury switch with contacts in the horizontal (in-use) and upright (just sitting there) positions. When moved from one to the other resets the timer (simple 555 IC?). If the iron isn't moved (change in switch contacts the countdown completes and shuts the unit off.

  • Xerox never comes up with anything original.
Reply to
barry martin