Operating grills on patios

I live in an apartment. For the 2nd time, I have seen another resident operating a grill on their patio.

I reported the 1st instance to the manager.

From what I understand, it is not lawful to operate an grill under a balcony and not withing 10 feet of the residence.

I am trying to find the actual statute, but having no luck.

I live in Harris County of Texas.

Thanks.

Reply to
AK

From long ago:
Dean Hoffman

Is it the smoke or fire hazard that's bothering you ? ... or just the " rule breaking " aspect. ? Are they grilling ganja burgers .. or honey smoked venison .. ? Have you taken HD photographs and knocked on their door with a pre-planned speech ? They might invite you in for a true feast ! Best of luck. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Talk to your local fire department. They would probably have the information you need. It is allowed in some places under certaincircimstances though. This is rather generic and may not apply to your situation: Is it safe to grill on a balcony? The good news is that legally you are permitted to have a BBQ on your balcony! Probably. The International Fire Code, who operate in America, states you cannot use charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices on combustible balconies (see above) or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

Check here too, many towns are similar when writing ordinances.

Ed Pawlowski

In Brooklyn, my 1930 building had wood window sills and for the kitchen window, I nailed a board about 2 feet wide and a 1 foot deep to the window sill and put a charcoal grill on it. I screwed some clips to the legs so the grill wouldn't fall off. I used it aout 30 times. Tried to keep the window open when the lighter fluid fluid was flaming, but one time the smoke was too bad inside, I shut the window, and the heat cracked it. That was the only repair I asked the obnoxious landlord to make in the 12 years I lived there. I traded it for something he owed me.

Once, only once. someone next door, at Teen Challenge, got word to me that there was a fire, but I'm sure he saw that the fire went out.

I put the nails in part way so they could be removed. When I left I removed the grill, but the new tenants might use the shelf for plants. In another room, I used a similar shelf to hold a room AC, so it wouldn't fall and hit the kids playing basketball at Teen Challenge.

Reply to
micky

When they lit the charcoal grill, the flames were going up about 2-3 feet.

Not far from the ceiling of the covered patio.

The apartments once had a fire that burned half of it down.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Ya' think that rather than seeking advice on a world-wide forum, it might be more effective to contact the landlord or your local authorities- fire department, zoning enforcement, county administrator, etc.?

Reply to
Wade Garrett