Open Flight Stair Covering Choices

Original owner/builder wrapped carpet around each step on our open flight stairway. Probably was OK years ago but now its time to change Under the carpet I see what appears to be a slab of 2 X 12 pine/fir. Not particularly attractive. What choices [with available bullnose?] should be considered to upgrade to a better looking hard surface? Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser

Pretty much all I know of are wood treads. Menards sells Oak and Pine, but if you go to a real lumberyard or a hardwood company you can get any stair tread you can imagine.

Reply to
marson

Chances are good that you are looking at rebuilding the stairs. Carpet covered stairs are generally built with materials and workmanship that will be covered by the carpet so they do not worry about gaps, warpages, uneven cuts, knots, exposed nails, etc.. It is basically the difference between framing and finish carpentry. I doubt it would be practical to cover such stairs with anything except more carpet. Yours, of course, might be much better.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young