Bathroom fan roof cap location

Is there any reason not to install a bathroom fan roof cap very near the edge of the roof, about 1.5 feet from the rain gutter? There is no soffit on this side of the house. Because of the location of the bathroom fan, the closest, most direct venting would be if the roof cap was near the edge of the gutter. I have a ranch style house, with gutter all the way around if that helps.

This is at the rear of the house, so aesthetics isn't an issue.

Reply to
hondgm

Best advice would be from your building code people. In small towns like ours it is apparently OK as I have seen a few vents for plumbing and fans close to the gutters. Keep in mind that that location has the heaviest water run off from the roof and thus needs extra attention to flashing, like major size increases, since the low slope (4 in 12 or less) of the ranch roofs make ice dams and leaks likely. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote on 27 Jan 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

Do you live in a snow area? I'd sure hate to get an ice dam around a roof penetration. There may also be code limitations.

Reply to
Steve

I'm in a Detroit suburb, so yes, it's a snow area.

Reply to
hondgm

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote on 27 Jan 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

I used to live in Holland, MI, until I got laid off. Good memories!

I'd move the penetration up higher on the roof. You're just going to run a piece of flex duct (I assume), so use a fishing pole to pull the end of the duct back to where there's enough headroom to work from inside the attic.

Did I mention checking the local building code? Call the city and ask to speak to an inspector. They'll answer your question in no time.

Reply to
Steve