One last cleaning before home remodel

Hi,

We will be remodeling our home soon and eventually replacing the berber rug that is in place now. We actually wanted to do the remodel sooner and as a result have been pretty neglectful of the rug thinking it would be replaced sooner. It is in pretty rough shape (just normal traffic dirt and grime, no oil-based stains) and certain areas might need a scrubber machine.

I thought we could rent a scrubber at Lowes and then schedule a professional to do the hot water extraction just afterwards.

If this sounds workable can anyone recommend a moderately priced general purpose spot remover and shampoo for a rug destined for the trash in about four months.

I was going to call on Stanley Steamer for the steam cleaning but some of the comments make me worry that perhaps the care won't be taken to get as much water back out of the rug as possible which could be a problem with berber.

It is a small house (3 bed, hallway, and family room) with about 1000 sq ft of rug in So. Cal.

Thanks for the advice,

Steve

Reply to
steverossiter

Dry Chem only. But, I'd forget it since it's out of there anyway. Save your money and go out for a lovely dinner.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

That was my thinking as well. Just vacuum well and maybe some spot cleaning (or heck, throw a small area rug on top to cover it). Reminds me, I should set up some appointments to replace the 30 y/o original carpets in my house, they're looking a bit worn.

Reply to
Seerialmom

???Why would you go through the hassle and expense to clean something you'll be tossing in 4 months? SOOO not worth it.

Woolite cleaners in the blue pump bottle available at any supermarket do a really good job of spot cleaning. They make one for pets too usually sold next to each other.

I would get that and a good vacuum cleaner for your next rug. See ratings in Consumer Reports.

According to their issue on carpeting a long time ago, look for uniform carpets as ones that clean the best. Ones that have varying height areas do not allow good suction by vaccum cleaners.

If you insist on cleaning your rug well, I don't think you can beat rug doctor rentable at most supermarkets. You want the models that vibrate. We had an incredibly bad mess to clean up that made me want to grab a knife and cut out part of the rug but I got it clean as new renting a rug doctor.

Reply to
Art

Let's sum it up!

The majority here think you should leave well enough alone :)

Now, take the money and go out for a lovely meal and don't worry about living like a pig!

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

I second this, and you'll be happier living with a bit of dirt. Relax and stop cleaning. You'll have plenty of cleaning up after the remodel.

Reply to
Macuser