Older workers face paying Jeremy Hunt's 'care tax'

"Nearly 1.3m ?silver strivers? ? those working beyond the state pension age ? would have to start paying national insurance to prop up the social care system, under plans being considered by the government.

At present, people stop paying national insurance when they reach state pension age. But under the proposed ?care tax?, the 12% charge would continue to be levied, raising about £2bn a year."

How much more are the tories going to try and steal?

I already pay NI for no good reason. No additional pension. That has already been stolen and is now being eroded.I sure a hell don't need sick pay or unemployment benefit. It's so derisory anyway. I'd have to move to India to live on it. I have way more years than I need to qualify for the full pension. So I already get shag all benefit from paying NI.

The truth is that it's an illusion that all these 'oldies' are stocking shelves at B&Q. The reality is that many people who work past retirement do so because they are needed. This will only encourage people with a lifetime of experience and knowledge vital in all kinds of areas to say 'f*ck it'.

Silver strivers, baby boomers, ippy doppy doomers. I can't keep up.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

On 6 May 2018, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote (in article):

As much as they can. It is what Tories do.

Reply to
johnny-knowall

When Blair came to power, the NI deduction rate was 10%.

Labour increased that to 12% - a 20% increase for no additional benefits of any sort (except for increased Treasury revenue).

Compared to a swingeing increase like that, paying National Insurance on

*earnings* once past the age of 65 (for guaranteed cover against care costs) would seem like an absolute bargain.

In 2017/2018, it would have cost me... let's see... £174.

I could live with a deal like that.

Reply to
JNugent

beyond the state

the 12%

It was rather more than that: there was a ceiling at about £40,000 beyond which governments felt it was rather a cheek to go on collecting 'contributions', as there were no additional benefits on offer. There is now 2% payable on all earnings over the limit, and the employer goes on paying 13.8% on all earnings. That brought in quite a lot more money. Brown was bugger all use for everything except thieving, he was marvellous at that.

Reply to
Joe

Someone has to pay for what the government spends.

Or have you found that magic money tree?

Reply to
Norman Wells