Centrak Ontario Wind Stoem

We had a DANDY windstorm yesterday that did some pretty extensive damage up here in Ontario. Official wind speeds were recorded as 122kph at CYKF while unnoficial windspeeds of about 140kph were reported in NorthWest Waterloo. Highest wind speeds on record here outside od a few tornados.
Several ice storms over the last jew years has already thinned the canopy considerably, and since there were no leaves on the trees tree damage was a lot less than expected although several large evergreens came down locally.
I escaped damage except for my gas baebeque being blown over breaking off a hinge pin (simple repair - drikked ans inserted a 3/16 inch pop rivet to replacethe pin) but several neighbours did not get away as lucky., Several roofs sustained significant damage, and the neighbour across the strrt is on a cruise to europe, leaving me to care for the house while he is gone. The house last 5 patches of shingles. I managed to find a pack of shingles of the right colour before the local Hiome Despot was sold out - but they were the new Metric sized shingles which are smaller than what was on the roof, so it took a bit of "creative bodging" to get a solid good-looking patch job done.
Several hours of work up on the roof and under $50 in materials, and if you don't know where to look the job is pretty well invbisible from the street.
SHMBO says it's time to start to think about selling the house and simplifying our lives. The neighbour's house is just a spkit level Our two story is a LOT more difficult to fix the roof on - - -

You're a scholar and a gentleman Clare - AND a good-neighbour-handyman :-) Our power outage was 5 - 6 hours .. I expected 1 - 2 days .. A few neighbours lost shingles; a few trees down; some barn-steel blew off .. but overall we were lucky ! I saw my canoe start to lift-off from it's sheltered spot, by the garden shed - and I hurried out to lay it down flat and anchor it. I drove through a horizontal deluge near New Hamburg - .. probably routine stuff for the southern hurricane people - a bit scary for us northern wimps ..
PS : the Power-Back works great - but gawd-awful loud & screechy ! I hang ear-plugs by the stairs when it's armed .. but that's what I want - a wake-up alarm .. John T.

http://torontonursinghomes.com/nursing-homes/ontario.html

Not ready for a nursing home yet!!!!!