older ceiling light boxes

I've always wondered how people retrofit/replace the old pancake light boxes that are about 3" in there is barely room in them for a single wire nut but are sometimes a pain to remove/replace due to lath in the ceiling, plaster issues, sometimes the box is just flat up against the joist or slightly embedded in the joist, etc. Basically I always end up wishing I didn't have to replace them. Is there any method that people have had any luck with?

Reply to
mi partTime

If you don't care what it looks like, you can add an extension box to get yourself more room, but if you didn't care what it looked like, you could just rip out the box, couldn't you? Using wingless wire-nuts would help a little, if you're not already, and using the smallest nut that's legal for the job. Long term, you'll just have to get comfortable working with plaster and lathe. Sometimes, it's easier to do the work than to avoid it.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

You should resist the temptation to notch the joists to take a deeper box unless you want to run afoul of building codes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
mi partTime

Fan/fixture boxes similar to this:

are available in the fan section at HD, Lowes, or similar stores.

Reply to
volts500

Hey, those are neat!

Thanks for teaching me something new.