Old drawer slide????

Am attempting to locate a particular drawer slide. Please see picture at

There is no brand name or numbers on them, the web doesn't seem to have them, several harware stores in Houston don't have them SO..... if anyone might know the manufacturer or has see them I' appreciate a reply. Estimates to "modify" the cabinets to accept the "current" design of the drawer slides on the market today run "almost" as much as replacing the cabinets with new ones. Thanks Xan

Reply to
Xantipas

I'd just go down to HD and get a new set.

Reply to
jthread

Without more information it's almost impossible to find exact replacements. Any hardware that doesn't have any markings is so cheap that it's a crap shot whether you'd ever find the manufacturer - they might not be in business anymore. If they're still in business, well, even basic drawer slides are better than those.

Measure the exact drawer width, then measure the exact drawer opening width. If it's right at 1" you could easily upgrade to much better slides. With full extension drawer slides you'd be able to access the entire drawer, not just the front 75%. You can get replacement slides for pretty damn cheap.

The easiest thing to do is to take off the drawer slide (both pieces from one side) and bring it to a big box store and compare yours to the ones on display, and find a set that fits your budget.

RicodJour

I didnt look but you might try Rockler.com

Reply to
evodawg

That's the ugliest drawer slide I have ever seen. Try Rockler.com or your big box stores.

Reply to
evodawg

I have tried all the usual suspects as mentioned, just hoped posting here someone might have knowledge of these "old" slides. Actually they are NOT ugly. These are built on-site cabients of wood not splinterboard and instead of a center runner as was the mode "back in da day" these face mounted brackets went on faster and cheaper and lasted about

30 years. Xan
Reply to
Xantipas

Well, I guess "ugly" is in the eye of... :) They certainly aren't particularly attractive; of course, they only show when drawers are open. Look like about same roll quality of a typical home store nylon roller.

I have no idea on them identially; I've never seen them before, either.

But, try

woodworkershardware.com

and see what you can find in a front mount option--if it's made and readily available, they're about the best chance I know of who will have it.

If, as you say, the cabinets are worth replacing the slides in, I'd suggest adding rails (from what is viewable in the picture) wouldn't be above the skill set of an moderately handy person could do. Looks like a project that could be tackled and completed on a fairly leisurely schedule at little more than cost of the new slides (whatever were chosen). This, of course, assumes have at least the rudimentary woodworking tools and some facility in using them or at least an interest in other than the "let someone else handle it" solution.

Reply to
dpb

I'm not sure why you'd want to preserve them especially since there are no readily available replacement parts. You can easily purchase quality drawer runners. 30 years isn't really all that long. Unless it was on a silverware drawer or something you used daily. As for ugly, why would anyone care?

Sorry, but I really don't have a thing to do and my wife is entertaining. I'm just playing around on the computer trying to ignore her "girlfriends".

Reply to
jthread

They're _reasonable_ quality slides for 30 years ago (ball bearing slides were already in existence), but at this point in time they're totally outdated. Today that exact slide, even if brand new, would be a mid/low grade. Hey, you didn't invent the suckers, so don't take it personally. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that you inherited the house and a relative built the cabinets. This has nothing to do with any of that. If the person that built those cabinets were alive today, they'd choose a different slide. I've always felt that you should honor the spirit of the person that did the work, not become a slave to outdated technology unless you're doing a historic renovation. The person that did the original work would choose the best slides that they could reasonably afford. You should do the same. That's my take on it.

RicodJour