Oil under washer - need advice

I moved my washer and found a small puddle of oil, approximately 6" diameter under it. Is this anything to be concerned about? There's nothing in a washer that can leak oil, is there? It's about two years old, has not had heavy use, works fine. Thanks.

Cameron Davis

Reply to
J. Cameron Davis

Yes, there is probably a seal gone bad. Many washers have lubricant in a transmission under the tub. If it all leaks, it will wear out very fast.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The oil is from the washer transmission, which slows down the 1750 RPM motor to agitator speed and creates whatever agitation motion your model uses. Moving the washer can cause some of oil to leak out through the transmission vent, especially if it was tipped or tilted while moving. A 6" puddle is nothing to worry about, it's probably less than a spoonful of oil.

Reply to
lwasserm

Does this sound like a dyi repair project, or is this something for a professional repairman? The washer is low end - the cheapest one for sale at Lowe's. Because it's such a cheap machine, I'm not sure it would be cost effective to have it repaired. If it's breaking after only two years, is it likely it will continue to have problems?

Reply to
J. Cameron Davis

Your extended service plan should cover this. WHAT? You didn't buy an extended service?? Your mistake.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

No, if he took the money that the extended warry would cost on every appliance b ought, he'd have enough left over to buy a new machine and still put a bundle in the 401k.

Extended warrany is another word for "let's make more profit" at the store level. They are in business to make money, not to repair appliances. Short term, a few people make out on them, long term, most people just tossed their money away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Beat this:

I bought a mousepad at Best Buy for 98¢...

For a mere $4.95 more I could get a year's warranty.

Reply to
HeyBub

But I bet they would not let you read the warranty; standing at the cash register, holding up the line. Some people may buy an extended warranty on an anvil purchase, but I don't know .

-- Oren

Oren

I disagree. I always take advantage of the extended warranty on any item over $500 and I make it pay. I haven't bought an inkjet printer in 10 years and have never had one more than 2.5 years old.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

What the hell kind of inkjet printer costs $500?

Reply to
lwasserm

An inkjet for $500 ?!!

In my experience, inkjet folks follow the Gillette business model: give away the razor and sell the blades.

Reply to
HeyBub

How much have you spend on service policies during that time?

You may be one of the tiny minority that makes it pay, but for most, it is a big waste of money.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Perhaps Wyle E. Cyote? He certainly seemed to go through a lot of=20 'em.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

A good example of the school of hard knocks...

(in tears)

-- Oren

Oren