Oil over latex? ? ?

Can I safely put a coat of oil paint over a recently-painted coat of latex?

Would I need to prime?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

As long as its Flat oil, Gloss ,sand or prime.

Reply to
mark Ransley

You didn't say whether the latex was flat or shiny, makes a difference. You will however not gain any advantges to doing this as your fnish will only be as strong as it's base or primer. Al p.s. mark ransely is an idiot

Reply to
call_me_al

call - me -al If you knew anything about paint you didnt show it , just stupidity.

Reply to
mark Ransley

It depends on whether the latex or the oil paint will end up on the sweatier side. Latex lets moisture pass through it, but oil doesn't, so if you paint the outside of house with latex, then you can't use oil over it since moisture from the house will become trapped underneath the oil. On the other hand, if your interior walls have latex on them, you can probably put oil paint over them without problem (sometimes used as a vapor barrier).

The paint can will tell you if you have to prime (doesn't anybody read directions?), but you usually do.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Thanks -- exactly what I needed to know.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

I just had a terrible second thought based on your message. I put two coats of oil porch and floor paint over one coat of that high-adhesion Zinsser

1-2-3 waterbased primer.

Sounds to me as if I may have done exactly what you say I shouldn't have done.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Jenkins