O.T. WebTV

Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live links are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that I know if I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it just before he passed on. This is the second unit that he had. TIA, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

They must still be going. People are selling the units on Ebay and Amazon. Look for a thread called Run away cars. Jack is the OP using WebTv. It's from just a few days ago.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yup, still in business... for now

Reply to
BRUCE

I know someone in another newsgroup who was using it up to 8/27. Make that 11/11, 1/4, make that 3/8. But she hasn't posted since then.

Reply to
mm

I use webtv. I also have a Dell desktop with windows vista. I hate it! The webtv gets me on line in a little over one minute. The computer takes 15 minutes to do the same thing and it is very fussy (I am on dial-up). MSN states that webtv will operate as long as there are people using it.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Thanks folks. I appreciate the quick response. Just didn't have time to get back. Regards, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Yes.

Reply to
Ron

I have a computer on RoadRunner, but still have the WebTV for the newsgroups and EMail. The NG's are easier to use than with a computer, and there are several that are only for WebTV AFAIK. I don't know how much longer I will keep the WebTV though. I need to call them and see about adjusting the monthly charge. I had an old computer on the same MSN plan as the WebTV, which was nearly worthless. Larry BTW, I have had WebTV for about 10-11 years, and have several extra units that I picked up for spares here and there over the years. I doubt you could get more than $10-15 for one.

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:11:12 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote Re Re: O.T. WebTV:

Looks like it's now owned by MS.

Caesar Romano

I thought it always was.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

krw

Bullshit. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some units and they were marketing it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Cite.

Reply to
krw

Google

Reply to
Ron

Fuck you.

You posted the bullshit. You get to post a cite.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Can't expect you to get off your lazy ass. I provided enough for you to check, but you're either too stupid, too lazy, or too much of an asshole to check.

If you want a cite that he was friends of my brother or that my brother died last month then you can go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

"AZ Nomad" wrote

Seems to be a little more involved. From

I found

"WebTV was invented (I'd rather say that the technology was developed) in

1996 by Diba Inc and Zenith Electronics, who produced and marketed the first WebTV sets. "

The Wikipedia site says about Perlman "In 1995, Perlman created, co-founded, and was the President & CEO of WebTV Networks, Inc. WebTV was introduced in 1996, and was one the earliest products to connect the Internet to a television. Less than 2 years after it was founded, WebTV was acquired by Microsoft Corporation for US$503 million."

While he was the creator and founder of WebTV Networks, it is unclear if he took the technology from the Dilba/Zenith partnership to the level of use and viability or he actually started the base technology.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Me? Off my lazy ass? Are you stupid, or just a run of the mill asshole? I gave you my citation in my post, yet you expect me to believe everything you say because you say so.

I guess you're both.

Reply to
krw

I can attest that they are still going strong. My 95-year-old mother uses the service, as frustrating as it seems to a normal PC user. Guess there's something to be said for an appliance that never needs user attention.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro