O.T. Can mobile calls be made using the internet?

The woodpeckers might like them. There is a nearby utility pole that has a metal shield protecting the down feed to my meter. In the spring a woodpecker beats the hell out of it. He thinks the amplification will convince the local ladies he's the biggest, baddest pecker around.

The one I've noticed is like #13, not a very artistic attempt. The flag pole version was stolen from hams who are trying to hide a vertical antenna from HOA busybodies.

Reply to
rbowman

He is ugly and his mother dresses him funny . Lousy shot too .

Reply to
Snag

Good question. I knew a woodpecker who needed beak surgery after trying to get insects from a cell tower. He needed rehab too, but didn't have insurance for that.

Reply to
micky

My daughter found a way to make calls using my Wifi.

I installed WhatsApp on my phone.

It uses my WiFi to make calls.

Reply to
AK

How does WhatsApp handle inbound calls? How does your daughter make outbound calls when no WiFi is available?

Reply to
kelown

AK

WhatsApp uses a Wi-Fi connection to communicate cross-platform, unlike Apple iMessage and Messages by Google, which require cellular networks and Short Message Service (SMS). WhatsApp's use of Wi-Fi is cost-effective, making it popular with users who do not have data plans with unlimited calls and text messaging.

Reply to
AK

I think you'll find that they can use wifi too. Most people with cell phones have cellular coverage everywhere, and texts use so little data, that no one thinks about or talks about whether the transmission is cellular or by wifi.

I don't know of anything anymore that can use the cell signal that can't also be done with wifi.

What couldn't use wifi in early years were regular dialing and SMS, but then they developed wifi-calling, as an adjuct to normal calling, which iiuc most but not all phones have in recent years. That was when phone calls, which were the original purpose of cell phones, used a different, earlier protocol than all the other later apps on the phone. Then iiuc they developed VOIP, voice over IP (Well, I guess wifi calling itself used VOIP, right?), and then a few years ago, they switched all the phone dialers to VOIP and abandoned the method that had been used.

(I've pieced this together from haphazard reading. Corrections welcome.)

If all the phones now use VOIP, how is it that in some places with weak signals you can make phone calls but can't use other apps? If anything it should be the opposite, because if the signal is weak, packets have to be resent, so that the signal is slow, that won't affect, other than slowing response, something like a web browser, but it would make a live phone conversation almost impossible to maintain!

No, but it's certainly popular because you can make international calls for free, and my impression is that whatsapp had video calling before the factory-included dialers did. Although skype had it when whatsapp was just a gleam in its father's eye.

Reply to
micky

[...]

The world - or even one country, the UK - is more heterogeneous than you suggest

Not all phones are smartphones. Not all phones provide wifi calling. Not all networks provide wifi calling. Not all network operators provide wifi calling. (In the UK many cheaper MVNOs don't, and even some MNO's don't on their PAYG services.) VOIP is not the same thing as Wifi Calling. Wifi calling uses VOIP but so do 4g and 5g cellular services. Not all users have 'mobile data' turned on all the time. A user may have run out of mobile data allowance and credit.

GSM (and Skype) had video calls before smartphones existed.

Reply to
Dave Royal

Of course, but if you don't have a smartphone you shouldn't expect to do what only smartphones will do.

I think I mentioned that somewhere. in another post, or other home.repair thread.

That's important.

That's what I meant.

Okay. Wasn't this part of getting rid of the original phone-call protocol?

Sure. Another reason why they want wifi to work.

I probably didn't know that, (though I can't remember when I got skype, etc..) I don't think my non-smartphone (Did I have more than one?) had video calling -- Bought overseas. I don't think it even had a camera (I can't check now. I knew I shouldn't have thrown it away. One should never throw anything away.), so I was just going by that one phone.

Corrections appreciated.

Reply to
micky

The... lets call native voice system, originally GSM, is more robust for voice in real time than VoIP.

Sometimes people call me on whatsapp instead of the phone "native" system, by finger mistake, and we can barely hear one another.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

And I guess there are no packets to resend. It's not digital? but more like broadcase radio, but on a specific channel?

But I thought the native system had been ended and all there was was voip?

I've had consistently good results with whatsapp, including for a dozen

60 minute video calls over the last 3 years, but ony a few audio calls.
Reply to
micky

And moreover, WhatsApp doesn't "use WiFi" with the implication that that is the only method.

WhatsApp uses the internet and doesn't CARE whether it's connected via WiFi, Ethernet, or your cellular data.

Furthemore Apple iMessage service does NOT "require" cellular networks or Short Message Service to communicate with other iMessage users which is the parallel to WhatsApp.

Reply to
Alan

GSM is digital, with fixed slots. No re transmission, AFAIR, because it is real-time. I would have to read the documentation again. I never worked with it (and it appeared after I finished college), so my knowledge is incomplete.

Or read this end to end :-)

The current native system, whatever it is now. I'm sure it is still more robust than whatsapp or any other contender.

I just had an accidental wasap voice call this week, it was "unreadable". Seconds later I just phoned the same number, and it was perfect. And it is zero cost to me or the other party, so there is no point in using wasap.

Yes, I use wasap video calls across the Atlantic and it is fantastic. But these happen with both parties at home, so possibly both using WiFi, whereas the wasap voice call I mentioned before, the other party was at the beach.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Except when the communication is with a non Apple user, in which case it is a regular SMS. iMessage is not cross-platform. WhatsApp is.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

4g and 5g uses voip. But it's over the carriers' dedicated low-latency network, not the 'general internet' IIUC.
Reply to
Dave Royal

Wrong.

When an Apple users uses the app, "Messages", that APP can send and receive SMS messages IN ADDITION to sending and receiving iMessage services messages.

Details MATTER.

WhatsApp does "use WiFi": it uses the internet regardless of how you connect (including via cellular).

Apple iMessage doesn't "require cellular": Apple Messages (no "i") requires a cellular connection to send and receive SMS & MMS messages.

Reply to
Alan

I have to work? Darn.

Okay.

All of my whatsapp calls were from the field. The last video call, 3 weeks ago, worked very well. Called a friend and talked for 30 minutes. She was riding in a car near Baltimore, and I was in almost the jungle in northern Honduras, using only a Guatemalan sim (and the Guatemalan border was 6 miles away.) it boggles the mind that one can do this. Just a little bigger, but as good as Dick Tracy's 2-way wrist TV.

micky

Got it.

Reply to
micky