Novice question about plumbing repair.

From: David L. Evans Email:hud snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
I am looking at a listing for a new house in Philadelphia, P.A. which states that some major plumbing repairs are needed. If I purchase the house a can I perform the plumbing work myself or do I have to hire a license contractor. I tried my hand at some plumbing repair before while I was living in Newark, New Jersey。The city license department stated that since I owned the house I could repair/enhance the plumbing so long as all the repairs could pass the city inspection and that I limit my repairs to the boundary of my property. I would like know if the same rules apply in Philadelphia.
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:51:28 -0700, hud_home wrote:

if the repair is required by HUD then it needs to be licensed. There are ways to get it done and just inspected though. But the proper answer is yes, it needs to be licensed work.
I am looking at a listing for a new house in Philadelphia, P.A. which states that some major plumbing repairs are needed. If I purchase the house a can I perform the plumbing work myself
I've been away from Philly for 26 years so I don't know the latest regulations. I do know that thousands of Philadelphia homeowners do their own repairs and don't always get a permit. You have to decide the rest yourself.
This is an impossible question to answer. See the house (perhaps with an inspector) and determine what kind of work has to be done. Then you can determine whether it is a DIY job. My guess is that if it says major plumbing work is needed, then that work is way beyond DIY. And probably quite a job for a plumber.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
On 19 Mar 2007 18:51:28 -0700, hud snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That stinks. One of my great joys is repairing the plumbing on my neighbor's lot. Someday I will even tell him about it.

Wish I could help.
Call the building department. Around here individuals, either the homeowners themselves or individual plumbers, don't have to be licensed. Can't say what it is in Philly.
Oddly, no one has to be licensed for gas.
hud snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Since the plumbing issues are a matter of public record now, I'd be inclined to ensure the repairs are carried out by a licensed contractor. Otherwise, you may have significant difficulties finding a lender and/or insurer and/or at resale.
You could also make an offer contingent on the seller having these repairs made (by a licensed contractor) and at the sellers expense. It sounds like the seller doesn't want to do that but you can still make such an offer. You and your realtor will need to decide if the chances of acceptance are good enough to justify the hassle.
hud snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The reason you're interested in the house is its price, right?
The price (probably) takes into account the required plumbing work. So, look at similar houses that DON'T need plumbing work - would you buy one of them?
Next, find out what "plumbing repair" is required. From this list, determine what you can do and what is left for professionals.
I am looking at a listing for a new house in Philadelphia, P.A. which states that some major plumbing repairs are needed. If I purchase the house a can I perform the plumbing work myself or do I have to hire a license contractor.
"Major plumbing repairs" is a rather ambigious statment. What exactly are the major repairs needed? Also who is mandateing the repairs and for what reason? Is HUD the one requireing the repairs in order to approve you to borrow the money to buy the house? Or is the city involved?
Let's speculate that the major repair is a new water heater. If it was OK with HUD you could buy the house and agree to sign off on any issue after the sale withholding enough funds in escrow to insure compliance.
Now let's assume that the drain pipe has failed between the house and the sewer, and they require a plumber to do the work. A really big part of the job is digging the trench required to fix the pipe, and to my way of thinking it does not require a permit to dig a hole, so you can save yourself mega bucks by digging the hole your self and just have the plumber do the pipe connections.
One thing I forsee as a problem is city permits if you are not yet the owner. Often an owner can obtain a permit to do his own work, but if the work needs to be completed prior to the sale then you as the buyer can't get the permit.
--
Roger Shoaf
On 19 Mar 2007 18:51:28 -0700, hud snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Contact the local code enforcement office. Much of Pa assumes as the resident/owner of the property you will not try and rip yourself off. However as stated, since you are not an expert, you might require an inspection afterwards.
Just saying.....
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
Lowest Priced Philadelphia Expediter helps you get general contractor,make safe, dumpster, demolition, sidewalk street closing, plumbing, electrical, hvac, fire Alarm, Zoning, CO and more, Stop Work Order fast and cheap! Call 267 356-7945. Also, lowest priced architectural drawings, structural engin eer reports, fire escape inspection and certifications and special inspecti on engineer services licensed in Pa and NJ.
Email your work requests to: Building Permits auajr4@gmail

Philadelphia corruption.
Need a f*ing expediter to get a permit to wash your dishes or clean your yard.
On 12/1/2018 8:13 PM, catalpa wrote:

When my step father was in the contracting business there my mother took care of permits and inspections. She never would approach an inspector and offer anything illegal and unethical. She did however, take an envelope out of her pocket, place it where the inspector was looking and leave the room.
Philly plus Major equals house stripped of all metal by thugs.

That inspector bribing must be a northern thing. The last time I heard of it here was in Dade County (Miami) before Andrew and they are all transplanted New Yorkers over there anyway. They dissolved toe whole building department after Andrew and created "Miami Dade". The whole structure of building departments and the way codes were written changed too, state wide, no local amendments. They do throw the book at crooked building officials here tho, getting "crack dealer" type jail time.