Plumbing Question: Confusion About 1/4M Washer

Tried to repair outside faucet leak on frost-free sillcock. Installed

1/4 flat washer as recommended by Home Depot clerk. Leak has improved considerably but there is still a slight leak. Went back to Home Depot and noticed there are several sizes for 1/4 flat washers. Huh? How can this be? One package said "actual size 37/64" or something like that ... while the other said "actual size 25/32" or something similar. Did I use the wrong size 1/4 flat? Also, is the washer supposed to overlap the threaded end of the stem upon which it rests? The one I used looked like it fit exactly, with no overlap. Thanks
Reply to
Bro Jack

I could never understand the reason for various sized 1/4 inch washers. Asked a few people in plumbing stores why this exists and never got much of an answer. Some just looked at me as if I was the crazy one. All I can surmize is that plumbing engineers are not the brightest people in the world. Although, when you think about it, way back in the old days, most plumbing inventions probably came from England where anything and everything is screwed up.

They drive on the wrong side of the road. If you purchase a new electrical appliance, it comes without a plug. There are so many plug / receptacle combinations in use in the country that you have to purchase a plug of the type your house has separately. They drink their beer warm. They talk funny.

Thank you England!

Des

Reply to
Des Perado