Question about plumbing

Last night I ran the water for my bath, but when I tried to turn it off, the cold water turned off just like normal, but the hot water valve wouldn't turn off all the way. We ended up having to turn off the hot water supply under the tub, and the water supply from the water heater that goes to the tub before the water quit flowing from the hot water valve.
We called a plumber and he's supposed to come later today to fix it, but I wanted to ask people here what they though the problem might be, and how much you think a fair price is to fix.
After the plumber comes and he finds and fixes the problem I'll at least have an idea of what to expect.
Thanks!
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Expect to pay for a service call at the plumbers going rate ... the likely problem is a worn/failed washer and seat or o-ring in the faucet - you don't say how old it is . Parts could run from basically zip to $30 - $40 bucks if it's a cartridge type faucet . -- Snag
On 1/19/2017 11:29 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Sorry ... the faucet is a little over 2 years old, so is that normal to have that sort of failure in this time period?
--
Maggie

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 12:37:55 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Gee, what do you think? Sharp as ever I see.
Muggles wrote:

I wouldn't expect a failure in that short of time ... qualifier - a lot depends on who is using it and how much use it gets . Probably a cartridge or o-ring type , I don't think washer type faucets are very common any more .
--
Snag

On 1/19/2017 12:37 PM, Muggles wrote:

When I lived in my first house with single faucets with washers, I was changing them quite often and it is not unusual to have a shut off valve that does not shut off properly as these are infrequently used and can freeze up. These type repairs are good for DIY'ers to learn.
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:37:54 -0600, Muggles

It is if you bought cheap. What brand? Any GOOD faucet will have a warranty that will pay for the parts.

I had a recent problem with a leaky drain pipe under the bathroom sink. While the plumber was here, I had him also fix some other items. The total cost was about $600, so I would estimate yours to cost about $150.
That seems to me to be rather high, so your plumber may cost less. But when you are desperate, it is worth it!
Fred
On 1/19/2017 11:32 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Thanks for the info! We had to call like 4 plumber businesses before we found one that would come out today. They said a service call is like $104, so $150 doesn't sound too bad.
--
Maggie

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:14:05 -0600, Muggles wrote:

It looks like you have two problems:
1) Failure of the tub hot water valve. 2) Failure of the hot water cut-off valve under the tub.
Are you all-copper or plastic? The parts will probably be under $50, but a lot of the labour costs depend on how cramped the workspace is, and if the plumber needs to fire up a torch without setting anything on fire. You might consider replacing the other valves with new ones while everything is opened up to save on what it costs to re-do the wall after, if the wall needs to be opened up. (i.e. reduce the probable cost in the future when the cold water valve eventually fails.)
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 1/19/2017 11:40 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

I could turn off the hot water valve under the tub, but when I turned it completely off it had a tiny leak, so I had to un-turn it about a third of a turn and it stopped leaking.

Everything under the tub is new connections, and there's a nice access through the wall to get to the connections, too. It's covered with something that looks like an AC vent, so that just pops out to access the plumbing under the tub that's right there as far as reaching it goes.
--
Maggie

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:46:39 -0600, Muggles

Who installed it 2 years ago? If you can get the same guy he should know what model he installed and bring the right parts with him to save the second trip/charge.
Muggles explained on 1/19/2017 :

Pls post what that plumber charged Maggs. I am calling a plumber today to fix a plugged kitchen sink.
On 1/19/2017 1:47 PM, Naturous wrote:

Around here in northern DE it costs about $100 to get any tradesman to come to the house then work charges begin around $100 hr plus parts.
Frank formulated on Thursday :

Thanks. I checked around here and a journeyman plumber costs $135 @hr. I took a look at my sink and unplugged it myself. Now if I could do some carpenter work I'd save a bundle on building a room onto our kitchen area.

If you are not familiar with it, check out the "Zip-It" drain cleaning tool at <http://zipitclean.com/ .
They are simple, effective and inexpensive. I've seen them at Lowes and Home Depot.
Fred
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:14:05 -0600, Muggles

Don't know what kind of taps you have, but you should get away with just changing the cartridges. On mine they are about $39 each - about half an hour should change them both.
On 1/19/2017 8:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well ... the plumber came and he said it was some weird brand of tub faucet and he couldn't get it off!!
So, I finally found the date and name of the plumber business that put the faucet on and we're calling them tomorrow.
To be continued ...
--
Maggie

How much did that service cost you ? Did he seem like a competent tradesman ? or someone who just considers himself a handyman .. Let us know how it turns out. John T.
On 1/20/2017 6:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

The service call was $104. The plumber thinks the other company who installed it originally cross threaded the hot water faucet, and that's why he couldn't get it off. Now, we have the original company who installed the faucet coming Monday after, some time between noon and 5pm. THEY installed it, so they should know how to take it out and fix it. Right? LOL
--
Maggie