Question about Old home repair

I just purchased a 3 Family home that is about 100 years old. The home needs both inside and outside repair. Such as the Vinyl siding and windows need replacing. The inside of the house is in decent shape the only floor that needs to be touched is the 2nd. It will need to be gutted and redone. My question is. Should I begin my work on the inside of the house or the outside?

Thanks, Gaz

Reply to
gaz

jhill

On 22 Apr 2004 12:48:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (gaz) scribbled this interesting note:

Do any and all outside work that must be done. Anything that needs attention that will cause damage if not attended to should take first priority. The next thing to ask yourself is; "Where do I live? Inside or outside?"

If it were me I'd fix what needs fixing outside and then move to the inside, get it spruced up as fast as possible, then turn my attention back to the exterior.

John Willis

Probably. I mean, those are the only two options, right?

Do the underlying structural and mechanical work first, finish work last. Inside or outside depedning on weather.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Remember that replacing windows will affect both inside and outside of the house so you need to keep that in mind when choosing which projects to do first.

Ivan

Reply to
ivan

I agree with Jeff. Concentrate on the structure itself, then do finish and cosmetic repairs. Does the foundation need repair? Do any support beams need replacing? Upgrade your plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems before finishing walls. Anything that is causing continual degradation, such as a roof leaking, should be addressed first.

One thing about a house that old is some problems may not surface until construction begins. Perhaps do some minor demolition and exploratory surgery to see what is going on behind the walls and ceilings then you can decide where the priorities are.

As another poster stated, replacing windows will affect the inside as well as the outside. Do them before installing new siding and finishing interior walls.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Err... after actual hazards. Loose ( steps, rails, wiring, bricks in chimney)

*Then* problems that threaten the structure (bug and water control) Then things that are costing you money.. (insulation, draft control)

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Gaz:

G > I just purchased a 3 Family home that is about 100 years old. The home G > needs both inside and outside repair. Such as the Vinyl siding and G > windows need replacing. The inside of the house is in decent shape the G > only floor that needs to be touched is the 2nd. It will need to be G > gutted and redone. My question is. Should I begin my work on the G > inside of the house or the outside?

Where does your wife/partner say to begin??!

Assuming 'no opinion' I would probably also begin on the outside only because the weather is getting good. (Why be stuck inside?) There will probably be some work you can start inside when it's raining or too hot to do the outside.

Be sure not to do any outside work that will be 'clobbered' by the inside rennovations. When gutting the inside would it be easier to throw the old out where the window is/was and onto the ground (preferably not where the new flower bed is!) (Remember things bounce

-- you don't want to throw an old mopboard out the window to have it bounce into the new siding or window on the first level! Protect with plywood or similar.)

  • For some night is a brief interlude, for others solitude.
Reply to
barry martin

Outside, specially the roof. Check it out carefully, cause if it leaks anything you do inside is wasted effort. The first thing I did on my 200 year old house was the roof. Ripped off a hundred years or more of cedar shakes, tin, tar, roofing materials of all sorts. Put down yellow pine tongue and groove from eve to eve. about 30 x 100 sq. ft. in total. Been good now for almost

30 years and just last year had the shingles replaced. joevan
Reply to
Joevan