Plumbing question

I needed a couple of plumbing repairs done so while the plumber was here I mentioned that I was considering replacing all my shutoffs with the new quarter turn ball valves. He told me that it would be a waste because he has seen them leaking too and needing to be replaced. According to him, at least with the old turn offs they can be repaired. Is he right about the new ones leaking? By the way my house is about 7 years old and checked all the sink turns off (old fashioned type) today. Only one was bad out of 7 sinks.

Reply to
Art

In time any valve will leak. I replace every gate valve with a ball valve. Wait until they leak then replace/repair

Reply to
SQLit

Quality ball valves wont leak.

Reply to
m Ransley

All kinds of valve can and will leak. Ball valves last longer and quality valves of any type will last far longer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As it turns out, he was talking only of the small ball valves for under sink use. He claims he has seen some leaking thru the handle and he doesn't feel they are much of an improvement. Our 3/4 inch water main shutoff was bad and he replaced that with a ball valve. He considers those worthwile. For what its worth.

Reply to
Art

All valves that are made by human beings have seals and packings in them that deteriorate over time. The good news is that you can replace the seals in most valves! If you will take the time...call several of the plumbing supply houses in your town...you will find the one warehouse distributor in your area that stocks virtually all repair parts for most of the valves on the market.

The Home Depot and Lowes seem to stock alot of the stuff you need around the home...check them out!

Bill

Reply to
Bill