Noisy Running Water

I'm renovating my kitchen, and removed the existing soffit so that I may extend height of my kitchen cabinets. I discovered that there is a PVC waste pipe that drains water from the upstairs bathroom.Before I finish of the top of the cabinet with crown moulding, I would like to deaden or minimize the sound of 'swooshing' water each time the toilet is flushed or the sink is used. Can anyone recommend a solution or approach to eliminating this sound? Is there a type of wrap that may be placed around the PVC?

TonyM

Reply to
tonym

Use Cast Iron No Hub pipe. It is heavy enough that the water will not vivrate it, hence little or no noise. Connect it to PVC with no hub couplings or Frenco Fittings.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Stretch is right; there is nothing like CI to deaden noise.

If you can't do that, look at the new sound deadening products these folks have:

snipped-for-privacy@soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

Don't even think about fiberglass or similar thermal insulation; it won't do a thing for the noise.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The thing you want is mass. I'd leave the PVC in place, wrap in in whatever soft insulation you can in order to leave it free to vibrate without transmitting to the outside, and then wrap the entire thing in the heaviest stuff you can find. Lead flashing would be perfect.

Reply to
Goedjn