Noisy Fridge

I have a fridge which is about 1 year old. I find it very noisy. The problem is not only the noise level, but the amount of time it runs - it seems to turn on for 10 minutes every

10 minutes. The service folks came out and checked and said this was normal for new types of fridge. But it is quite annoying and makes it difficult to listen to music.

Is there a way to make it quieter, eg by putting some noise baffles or insulation around the back perimeter of the fridge, without trapping the heat from the coils in there? The compressor is at the bottom and the coils on the rear of the fridge.

And is there a way to make it run less frequently? The service folks said newer fridges turn on and off more often because they try to stay closer to their target temperature. But I don't care if it is exactly at some temperature. I guess I could put it on a timer that goes on and off every hour?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
dynamorph

Is the noise normal compressor buzz or does it knock and clank when it starts and stops? If it is the latter you have a compressor mount that has popped out of its spring mounting. This pop out is not repairable.

Else the problem may be some slack mechanical component amplifying normal compressor noise. Tightening the canister mounting bolts may reduce the noise problem for example.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Have you cleaned the coils recently? Check the gaskets on the door. Are they sealing?

Reply to
SQLit

Hey, Jeff. What part of the world do you live in, and are they shingles or shakes? Tom

Reply to
tom

hidy, i am in southern vermont and they are shingles. longer reply in the relevant thread. Jeff

Reply to
dynamorph

Your electical frequency could be off or something causing less efficiency of the motors. Its doubtful but its possible. Make sure the thing seals well. stick a thermometer in there and see if the temp is actually dropping when it comes back on or not.

I doubt seriously if newer fridges would run more often. I would expect them to run less ofter, but im no fridge expert.

Make sure your temperature is set to something respectable. And what is room temp?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Everyone seems to have a different story. What I was told was that frostfree refrigerators are designed to run almost all the time because that produces the least amount of frost. Assuming that's true, then if someone's refrig is constantly going on and off there is something wrong somewhere. I know that all the refrigs I've had in the past 20 years have all run almost all the time. About the only off time is when the defrost timer kicks in, which is about once a day IIRC.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher