loud, high-pitched fridge

Hi,

Does anyone know of a quiet fridge that does not make a high-pitched noise? I recently bought a GE 28" width fridge from Sears. The noise drove me nuts, so I turned it off and replaced it. No fridge for 2 months but at least it was quiet. I ate a lot of canned soup.

Comes fridge #2, a Maytag. Same problem. I must have hyperacuity in my hearing or something. I feel like there is permanent damage to my hearing.

I don't remember anything this loud, even where I lived 2-3 years ago. It may be only in new refrigerators with high head pressure of energy efficient compressors. They sure don't make them like they used to.

I think even my neighbor can hear this sometimes but I'm not sure. It's not a loud hum or rushing air sound that bothers me - that could be louder without my being bothered, it's the high pitch that is setting me on edge.

Or if anyone knows of a very quiet compressor, can you please let me know? I saw a fridge called Dometic Servel 400 that has no compressor and is usually for people with no electricity or RVs, but can be adapted to electricity, although I think you have to defrost it and it costs over a thousand dollars, twice as much as this one.

If you have an opinion of whether one with coils on the back, or non-self-defrosting, or smaller (24" width) would be quieter, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Linda

Reply to
Emilia's Human

So what do you do with the frige you don`t like , junk them? Go listen to a neighbors, or have a friend listen to yours. Do you wear hearing aids? Consumer Reports may rate noise level.

Reply to
m Ransley

Does anyone have an opinion of whether a refrigerator with exposed coils on the back or enclosed coils underneath is quieter? And whether this affects the high-pitched noise?

I bought some 31 dB noise reduction ear muffs, but this is not the best solution.

Thank you.

Reply to
Emilia's Human

Never heard of it! But of course at my age, anything greater than 2K hertz trails off very rapidly. Modern day refrigerators don't make much noise. The compressors are dampened.

Reply to
J.Caldwell

A refrigerator with a static cooled condenser coil (one up the back) will use the same compressor as a fan cooled model. However you could insulate the compressor area with home insulation on this style plus the compressor is in the rear not underneath. John

Reply to
John

I have a similar problem with a "Frigidaire" fridge I bought last year. It is very loud, to the point of disturbing music or radio that is playing. It is the kind with compressor underneath and the coils in the back. I called warranty service but they said it was "normal" for a new fridge. I do not remember older fridges being this loud, but also more annoying, the newer ones turn off and on more often (to keep the temperature in closer range). I would like to stuff insulation around the rear perimeter of the fridge, but am afraid this will create a thermal problem blocking the heat from escaping.

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi,

Some common noises made....

Something on the wall may help absorb some of the noises ( a piece of carpet ), but definetly do not block the natural air flow of the heat and air as that could damage the refrigerator.

If still under warranty, try again.....someone different or a different company may have a new idea.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff