Noisy LOUD Fridge

OK ... I was stupid and placed some freshly boiled potatoes into the freazer to cool down before I would fry them.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it .. but now my fridge is very loud when it runs. Seems like the noise is coming from the center or top back and not at the bottom. Very loud .. won't be able to sleep with the noise.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
xeroid

Next time try just flooding them with cold water for a couple of minutes, and if you have the luxury of an ice maker, just put them in a collander and cover them with ice. STCP! (STOP the cooking process!) or you will be frying mashed potatoes. In the freezer doesn't do it.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Likely not related to potatoes. Check the leveling screws, any coils on the back touching a hard wall surface, shelves missing a support peg, things like that. Vibration has to start with something out of kilter, so inspect the workings at the bottom for a misplaced compressor, evaporator fan that's in trouble, flapping shrouds...you get the picture. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Just followed the noise .. emptied the freezer, removed the bottom panel .... spun the fan motor ( worked fine ) turned it on ... and noise gone. Put it back together and noise gone. I have no idea what it was. But it is working perfectly again.

Hmmm ... wonder what this would have cost me if I called a techie in ???

Reply to
xeroid

Hi,

Gotta wonder if some moisture from the hot taters built up on the fan motor or fan motor blade making the noise?!!?

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi,

Gotta wonder if some moisture from the hot taters built up on the fan motor or fan motor blade makign the noise?!!?

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Did the fan spin perfectly free the first time? Or did you have to push it to get it going? It could have been obstructed by some junk that fell loose while you were disassembling things. Or it could be the motor is having a hard time starting the fan and vibrating because of it, soon to burn out.

Keep an eye on this.

You may yet need that service call. Don't gloat yet. ;-)

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Local service call $35, hour labor $40.

Incidentally, expect the noise to come back. Evaporator fans aren't that easily cured.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like berrings. They make a "sick chicken" or "ailing cow" noise.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon