Test to determine paint type(latex or oil base)

As I recall there was a rather simple way of determining whether paint on a wood surface is latex or oil base. Of course, what I do not recall is what the simple way was!

Would appreciate that information. Thank you very much!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Take a cotton ball and wet it with acetone (found in most nail polish removers). On an inconspicuous area, rub the cotton ball in a circular motion on the surface. If the surface remains unchanged, it is an oil-based paint. If the surface turns gooey, it is a latex paint.

Reply to
G Henslee

Denatured alcohol on a rag -- if it starts stripping the paint, the paint is latex.

one catch -- if it's exterior oil it may be chalky. Don't confuse removing the chalking with stripping the paint. If you're unsure, do it again on the same spot of paint, with a clean spot on the rag.

Reply to
Hopkins