noisy door

I saw a dormatory janitor tap the top of each hinge with a hammer to stop a door from squeaking. It stopped the squeak, at least for a couple months.

Reply to
Phisherman

I think that three in one stuff is worse than WD. Dries, and gets gummy in a hurry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I recently repaired a couple of doors for a customer and I use industrial chain lubricant (not motorcycle chain lube) for all the mechanisms. For a door that squeaks, I use saw wax on the edges of the door and frame.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Take out the hinge pins half way, drill a hole, tap it and screw in a grease fitting. Grease it.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

OK, I am a locksmith and here is the skinny on lube for locks. Graphite is good, unless there is something sticky in the lock cylinder then it can get bad because it turns to mud. A safe thing to use is a Teflon spray as it tends to flush out any crud and leave only a thin slippery film behind. WD

40 will work, but doesn't remain effective for a long period of time.

Graphite also can cause a problem if someone thinks more is better.

It would work fine for a hinge except delivery is a problem. Hear a light oil that can get sucked in by capillary action is the easy solution

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yesterday we were having lunch at SWMBO's niece's basement studio apartment and three out of the four doors in the place shrieked like banshees when moved.

I got some olive oil from her kitchen and rubbed it up and down the hinges with my fingertip whilve lifting and moving the door a bit with my other hand, then I wiped off the excess oil with a paper towel.

That worked slicker than snot on a brass doorknob...Silenced 'em all nicely.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Olive oil starts to turn rancid after a while. It will get sticky, and smell like rancid olives. A better choice would have been mineral "baby" oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Jeff Wisnia wrote in news:cIudndbyz7vUs0zUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.choiceonecommunications:

I can hear the high pitched voices now. "That's amazing! Look at that. They haven't been that quiet in years! Oh Jeff...you're so smart and wonderful!"

:-)

Reply to
Red Green

Never open it.

Reply to
StepfanKing

I'm remembering the door knob lock I serviced years ago. The one woman, Carol, noticed her knob lock wasn't working well. Bonnie suggested to take some cooking spray, and soak it good. The cooking spray oil got all sticky, and it took me a long time to get it all flushed out with harsh chemicals. In that case, powdered graphite was the answer, not cooking oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon