Noisy garage door

I have a new (6 mo.) house that I installed an Overhead Door screw drive garage door opener ( see

The opener itself is great and quiet, but the door rattles and still has a rough sound while opening (and not as loud when closing). It uses nylon wheels on the door. Is there a way to get it to open more smoothly and therefore more quietly?

(please reply in newsgroup)

TIA, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

The sound may come from loose or dry hinge joints between the door panels. Could also be segment joints bind when coming together. Check for paint/ crud between segments. Then tighten up all the nuts on the inside door hardware, then using your finger to push a good silicone or worm gear grease into the pins of the segment hinges. Hardware stores sell grease for screwdrives and other door hardware. I find oil works, but for a much shorter time. Also check how tight the mounting bolts are that fasten the tracks to the wall and ceiling.

Reply to
Roger

). The opener itself is great and quiet, but the door rattles and still

just a note of caution.. neighbor who is 6 ft. 6in. and strog as a bull was working on his garage door and took the springs off and then pulled the door down... all four panels came down and he grabbed them and was stuck there trying to hold it up.. he let out a loud scream and then dropped them down and they hit the ground with some damage... when i have to remove the door panels i make sure i get them down one at a time.. and use a couple of pair of vice grips(i got about 6 pairs around the tool box).. to hold the other panels up by putting the vice grips in various places along the track.. hope this helps.... if its real cold where you are located and it just started making the noise it might be the weather.. on mine which is about 30 yrs. old the old grease was like cement and had to be removed from the screw and the track when the weather got cold it would reverse.. i took the screw drive down and brought it in the back yard and sprayed it with brake cleaner to cut the old grease and then cleaned up the track and the rollers and it worked fine......

Reply to
jim

First try disconnecting the opener and test the door. How noisy is it by itself?

Ok try the opener without the door.

Next take a look at the connection between to two. The arm and the links. Watch it work, is that what is vibrating? Check the alignment.

Still not found it? Try CAREFULLY holding you hand to parts of the door and track as it moves to see if you can feel the source of the noise.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

). The opener itself is great and quiet, but the door rattles and still

I thought my garage door was making too much noise also and I hesitated to use it especially early in the morning or late at night for fear of bothering my neighbors.

One day I was working in my yard, just a few feet from my garage, when my brother opened the garage door. I heard almost no sound. From the inside all sounds were magnified many time and sounded like the door was falling to pieces, but on the outside it was nice and quite. Is your six month old door that noisy on both the inside and outside?

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Hi, I sparingly spray liquid wrench on the screw track once in a while. I have a crew drive opener as well. Also wet the springs with car motor oil to prevent early psring fail. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
nospambob

> ). The opener itself is great and quiet, but the door rattles and still

It is louder inside than out, but most disturbing in the room above. The sound is coming from the door and not the opener. If I use the manual door release lever, it is very quiet.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Lemee see if I understand what you jst wrote. By "manual door release lever" I take it you mean the framustat which disconnects the opener's carriage from the drive screw.

I read that you're saying with that link disconnected, someone can open and close the door by hand, and the noise in the room above it isn't objectionable.

And also, with it disconnected you can run the screw drive opener and the noise upstairs isn't bad either.

If that's the case, it sure sounds like it'd be the opener making unacceptable noise only when it's "loaded" by pushing or pulling on the door.

If that's the case, you ought to look into using anti-vibration shock mounts between the opener and the house structure. Try them first between the opener power head and what it's mounted to overhead. You may also need to use them between the front end of the opener "track" and the structure it connects to.

Good luck with it.

Jeff (Who just puts up with the same kind of noise in the family room above our garage...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

>> ). The opener itself is great and quiet, but the door rattles and still

That leads to only one conclusion. It is the "accelerated opening" opener that causes the door to be so noisy. That's also why it is louder when it opens then when it closes since the opener closes at normal speed. Open the door by hand as fast as the opener & it will probably make close to the same noise.

Therefore w/ this opener's fast opening I believe your door is always going to be noisy. I also truly believe (as stated in earlier postings in this group)that in my opinion garage doors were not made or designed to open at this rate of speed. If you look at the door hinges closely the sides of the hinges are probably bending inward. As the sides bend inward they rub harder on the center roll pin & this is what causes the noise.

I have heard there is a way to turn off the fast opening but I do not know how you do it. If the opener open at a normal speed like most openers & if the hinges were straight your door w/ the nylon rollers would probably not make very much noise at all.

I have been in garages w/ this type of opener & doors that are 6 months old & it literally sounds like the door is falling apart and at some point they probably will.

Doordoc

Doordoc