No more click on disconnect

It seems I can no longer tell when someone hangs up on me. There used to be a click, or some change in the sound the line made. This has happened when I was apologizing for calling a wrong number and twice when someone switched to a call-waiting call.

Is that because I have a fiber optic internet phone now, instead of a real one, connected with copper wires?

Have you noticed this?

Reply to
micky

The click came from electrical noise while stitching the circuit. I have noticed the loss, although I don't know why. These quiet digital connections make it hard to tell when someone has hung up.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That part I know. It's because we relied on the click to know when to stop talking. At that wrong number, she said they get calls for other places all the time, and she didn't seem in any hurry to hang up so I was trying to tell her where their number was listed incorrectly**, so they could get it removed and stop the wrong numbers. I don't know when during all that she hung up. :-)

**Yelp and other places that listed a particular gas station, except for Google maps that listed a different wrong number!

I guess now that I know about this, I could have asked, Do you want to know...? and wait for an answer. Then I'll waste less time, but all in all it will take more time. Maybe, like they put a greater noise in electric cars, they (they???) could add some noise here.

Reply to
micky

I generally look for the red icon on my smartphone display. It's pretty clever about knowing when the other side has stopped.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

That would work.

I only use the cellphone when I'm out of the house, and not too often then. And when I call a foreign country with whatsapp.

So it's usually a desk phone.

Reply to
micky

Ah. I dumped my landline several years ago. Didn't see any reason to have two (three, actually, including my husband's cellphone).

Technically, my cable package comes bundled with phone service, but I don't use it. It was cheaper to buy the bundle. And I expect to dump my cable and phone service within a month or so, keep the internet, and exclusively use streaming.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Dumped my landline last month. Saved $50/mo. Dunno why I waited so long to do it. And with my cell phone hooked to my cordless phones (by Bluetooth) I don't even notice much difference. Just pick up the nearest phone when it rings and start talking.

Reply to
AJL