Newby plumber problem

We've just moved into a house that was built in the sixties. I am replacing all of the rather wornout pipes under the double drain kitchen sink, and decided to replace the two sink strainer assemblies as well, since the drains have become quite ugly looking.

I was able to get one of the strainers out, but the second one is not coming out. I've removed all of the gaskets and locknuts from under the basket -- I simply can't get the strainer body to budge.

What is recommended to remove it without damaging the sink (which is cast iron with porcelain enamel)? The strainer body is quite rusty, and I fear that it may have been glued in with epoxy or other glue. Is there some kind of solvent that can be used, or do I need to just give it a good whack? I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole sink, but fear I may be forced to if I can't solve this.

Many thanks in advance.

Jon R.

Reply to
ilovemyfish

If you have a dremel rotary tool, you can use the abrasive slitting disk to cut one or two slits most of the way through the basket from the rim all the way to the drain opening. Then try grasping a corner with pliers and peeling the strainer away from the sink. This is a lot less likely to destroy the sink than pounding away at the strainer.

The other thing you can try is to pop it out with an improvised clamp. For example, place two pieces of 2x4 in the sink on either side of the basket. Place another piece with a hole drilled in the center over those two with the hole over the strainer. Drop a piece of threaded rod with a nut in place through the hole and down through the strainer. Slide another piece of 2x4 with a hole in up the rod against the bottom edge of the strainer and hold with another nut. Now tighten one of the nuts to apply pressure to the strainer and hopefully pop it out.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

It should have been put in with plumber's putty and there should be evidence of that left around the bottom of the sink opening after removing the washer and gasket. Over a long time it dries out and can sometimes be harder to remove. I'd get a pipe wrench around it and try twisting it. If that doesn't free it up, I'd try doing that while someone else bangs it upward with a hammer. If neither of those do it, I like the idea Paul suggested, of making a DIY puller.

Reply to
trader4

I don't have a clue, but I know what I'd try absent of better ideas. Heat. Not a torch, but a hair dryer. Gently tap it or twist it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A hair dryer may prove to be too wimpy. A heat gun should put out enough heat to soften the sealer enough to make removal possible.

Reply to
EXT

The problem has just been solved. The drain basket was solidly rusted into the sink. I tried tapping it, I tried wedging the flange with a screwdriver, I tried turning it with a large wrench, and I couldn't get it to budge.

The local hardware store guy suggested using something called PB ("powerful penetrating catalyst"). I sprayed it around the flange in the sink, and thirty minutes later, the basket lifted out.

I never thought something that said "As seen on TV" would work so well:)

Many thanks for the responses, and I shall keep them in mind as I work on other plumbing problems around the house. . Jon R.

Reply to
ilovemyfish