Newbie needs help unclogging dishwasher drain hose

I agree that pliers are the correct tool for a wire hose clamp. However, the OP specific said "once I unscrew...that metal clamp". IMO the only reasonable assumption is that it is not a wire hose clamp.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, I knew that removing phosphates was making cleaning harder for us.

I should have realized that removing phosphates would make clogs in cleaning equipment more likely too.

Reply to
Steven L.

Hi, Maybe worm gear clamp Then screw driver or nut driver will do. Any how I never experienced DW drain hose clogging. To me it is very unusual. Maybe because we don't indulge in too much meat, greasy food? Our 20 YO GE DW needed a new pump/motor assembly. Now I see main seal is going. As soon as it shows a sign of leak, time to replace it. Maybe another GE or Whirlpool.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

FWIW, "Someone" didn't arbitrarily decide to ban phosphates. There was an incredibly detailed scientific analysis performed on the effects of phosphates in wastewater. This is not a Federal ban, BTW. Just a handful of states made the decision to ban phosphate detergents after years of research. As a result the industry decided voluntarily to remove phosphates from many of their products.

I don't know who's walking around with dirty clothes or eating off dirty plates because of the removal of phosphates - certainly not me. If the choice is a dead lake or bay full of dead fish or putting up with water spotted dishes and perhaps grayer looking whites, I'll take the spots and the gray every time. Cleaning up phosphate pollution costs big bucks so it make sense not to let it get started if there are alternatives.

The issue is quite complex but I think most reasonable people can understand the science behind the ban (mostly enacted by states with significant large bodies of water susceptible to algae blooms caused by phosphoric contamination):

Reply to
Robert Green

Hi, Same here. I liver on the bank of Bow river, one of famous trout fishing water. Banning that chemical made a difference for sure. Once I watched president George Bush floating by with a fishing guide casting a line.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I suspect it's more an issue of the dishwasher drain hose being routed incorrectly and allowing debris from the sink to flow back into the drain line as well as debris from the dishwasher to pool at a low spot. Infrequent usage would allow the food particles to dry out and act like cement, trapping even more food debris.

Reply to
Robert Green

It's another case that if you see the damage caused with your own eyes, you have a very different opinion of the issue. People living in areas without large bodies of water have probably never seen a foamed-up shoreline or huge mats of algae floating in the water.

Phospates have a negative effect on tourism, cost a lot of money for states like Maryland and New York to clean up and were being dumped into bays, lakes and rivers in enormous quantities. It's easy to think "What could my little dishwasher hurt?" but you have to remember to multiply that by the thousands of people running a dishwasher or washing machine every day.

As for your observations about the Bow River, they are quite correct:

Source:

Robert Green

I saw a turd floating by on our local river too.

Reply to
ralph

"The drain hose from my Kenmore dishwasher leading to my Kenmore garbage disposal is getting pretty clogged. Plus the material in the hose is starting to decompose."

Which is totally wrong. From what you're describing if the sink drain backs up, you have an easy path for dirty drain water to flow into the dishwasher. Preventing that is the purpose of a high loop or air gap.

That is probably true.

Reply to
trader4

yes.

again, yes

That's OK, but it should arc up to the underside of the countertop and back down to the hole in the cabinet. If it doesn't, see if there's enough slack in it to pull some more through the cabinet wall so that you can provide that high spot. If it doesn't want to stay in that position, fix it to the back wall of the cabinet with a conduit support or similar.

as trader4 said, you may be able to access the other end of the drain hose simply by removing the kick plate.

yup. and if you do have to replace the hose with a longer one, and/or splice it to lengthen it, your local big box or plumbing supply should be able to fix you up with what you need.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes, twist and pull once the clamp is loose, it is simply clamped over a round plastic hose connection (there will be a slight "bump" in the connection to help retain the hose; additionally the rubber will tend to adhere to the connection over time.)

If it's really on there but good, that rubber piece at the end of the drain hose is available separately but you'll need another clamp to secure that repair piece to the corrugated hose. If you have no choice but to destroy it, slit the rubber lengthwise with a utility knife or single edge razor blade and peel it off the connection with a flat blade screwdriver. Don't cut so deeply that you mark the connection, but it's probably not the end of the world if you inadvertantly do so. Then cut the drain hose at the closest corrugation to the rubber to leave it as long as possible for the repair piece.

Might be easier to disconnect and remove the whole hose from underneath the dishwasher (you'll need a shop towel to catch the water that'll drain out) and clean it outdoors, or just replace it entirely. Make sure not to use the sink while you do so, or buy a cap for the connection on the disposal so water doesn't run out under the cabinet.

This is exactly why it should be run up high. You really need to rectify that unless you *like* eating off plates that have been in essence stored in a cabinet with rotting potato peels.

exactly.

Every purpose-made dishwasher drain hose I've ever seen has been semi-rigid corrugated plastic. However, I do like this idea. Wonder if something like automotive heater hose is the right size to clamp onto the connections. (much like I've used 4" ductwork rather than "dryer vent hose" for dryer vents for much the same reason.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The route should be from the dishwasher to high, near the bottom of the countertop, to the disposal, without a dip between the high and the disposal. Running the hose high prevents crud from going to the dishwasher.

I would use a smooth hose, not corrugated.

Reply to
bud--

I've only had crud in the dishwasher hose once, and it was my fault.

The kitchen sink was clogged, and I plunged it. Plunging it forced dirty water through the hose. (At the time I was unaware of how the dishwasher drain hose was routed; our previous house didn't have a dishwasher.)

Reply to
TimR

Malformed floats? I thought he'd be a sinker, for sure.

Reply to
krw