New to me, tamper proof flat slot screw

The switch on my coffeepot has gone flakey. The whole pot was $10 new so it's not worth the effort to repair but I thought I'd squirt a little contact cleaner in there anyway. I hate just discarding everything.

Three screws, looked like Phillips head, but it wouldn't grip. So I looked closer. Huh, it's a normal flat slot screw, but there's a high spot in the middle of the slot so a regular screwdriver won't go in.

I have some sets of tamper proof drivers, for Torx and maybe something else, but I have never run into this type before. (and I'm nudging up against 70)

I guess I can buy a $10 screwdriver, take it apart, and get another year out of a $10 coffeepot, but..........how many years do I have left? None of my kids want my tools. Hee, hee.

Reply to
TimR

I bought a security bit set years ago for not much, maybe $7,think it was Harbor Freight. It probably has that one, has dozens of types.

Reply to
trader_4

Always lots of help available on youtube :-)

I couldn't imagine what the proper tool would look like -

Duh - I think I have one somewhere ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The tool would be a regular (flat slot) screwdriver with a notch in the center of the tip to fit around that little bump in the slot of the screw.

I'm sure Harbor Freight has one.

But so do I, now, thanks to an old screwdriver and a Dremel.

And it worked to remove the screws, and I squirted some contact cleaner and worked the switch, and that did not fix it. So it went into the trash, and I'll get a new one at Walmart.

Reply to
TimR

I'd probably take my Dremel tool with a narrow sanding disk and grind down the high spot. I recall switch on my old coffee maker getting flaky and just taking contacts off and putting back gave it a couple of years more life.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Maybe my Harbor Freight set of tips has one of those. When I'm downstairs, I'll look, if I can only remember.

Or you could drill out the screws, expecially with left handed bits and the drill going CCW. The only cheap set of bits I've seen was at Harbor Freight.

Me neither, but that's because I have no kids. No offense meant but there is some sligtht consolation in the thought that even if I had some, they might not want my stuff.

When I was shoppping for a used car a couple years ago, I met a guy with a beautiful, slightly tricked out red mustang convertible, and none of his kids wanted it. Boys. One didnt' even know how to drive a stick.

Reply to
micky

There was kid who left a couple notes on my windshield wanting to by my Subie. I happened to be home one time when he wandered by. Our conversation ended when I said 5 speed. I guess some people call a clutch an anti theft device.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There are probably very few under the age 30 that can drive a stick.

I have not looked but many years ago the auto transmission cost more and there were many around. The driver education cars when I did mine around 1965 were all stick shift on the column. Many boys wanted a car with a 4 speed.

I bet that if you go to a car lot now it would be hard to find a car that did not have an automatic transmission unless it may be a sports car. Do they even make a fount wheel drive manual ? Around 2007 I was looking for a small truck by Toyota. They did have a new one with a manual transmission and I test drove it, but did not want a manual. The did not have a new one at that time with an auto. That was just as the next year models were coming out so pickings were slim at that time. The main thing that I have against the manual is the clutch may need replacing before I want to get rid of it as I tend to keep a car many years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You gotta get out more ... :-)

When we did a fly & drive in Ireland a few years ago I had to special order an automatic - rental car ! It added about 30 % onto the cost. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I need to. Have to admitt that I have not been out of the state in a few years..

Never been out of the country unless going out on a fishing boat past the 3 mile limit qualifies.

Interisting that most of the cars over seas have manual transmissions.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had to drive a stick in the UK. Tough enough driving on the left but you had to shift with your left hand.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I should admit that a) I let him drive the car for the test drive, because, though I can drive one, I was afraid I'd screw up, and b) I already new I wasn't going to buy it... because it was a stick. Too much city drivign, too many stop lights and signs and I just don't have the patience for whatever benefit there is.

Reply to
micky

My drivers ed was in '63 and were automatics. The high school did drivers ed.

I keep mine usually 7 years. I think I should be able to keep it for 30 but they all start wearing out around 7. One lasted 8.

Reply to
micky

When I traveled, I used to rent a stick to save money, but lately I've noticed renting by the autos were only 50 cents a day more money. And many more automatics than manual. In most countries I would think at least half of the rentals are by people who live there adn they want what they and their friends and family usually drive.

Reply to
micky

Diesel is big there too. not just trucks - - but in the little cars. My North American Kia Rondo < gas auto >

.. is a Kia Carens over there stick diesel. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Let us not forget the diesel Chevette...

Reply to
rbowman

"Caution, This vehicle equipped with a Millenial Anti-Theft device"

Just sold my daughter's car for her. 2008 Honda Civic Coupe with

234000km. Really nice shape - 5 speed. A 2008 isn't worth a lot with miles on it - but a good 5 speed coupe is like a Unicorn. $4000 to the first buyer that showed up.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

When we lived in Europe our cars were all stick. That's pretty much all that was available.

As a kid my first car was stick and I learned to drive it.

Some years later I was driving an automatic and ended up with a broken right leg and a cast up to the hip. With the automatic I still drove, just put the cast leg in the passenger seat and used the left leg on gas and brake. With a clutch I couldn't have done that. At least not easily.

Reply to
TimR

I had my left leg in a cast up to the knee and my ride was a F-150 with a manual floor shift. I was able to improvise with a length of PVC tubing that let me operate the clutch with my left hand. i was a little busy while shifting but it worked out okay.

Reply to
rbowman