New study on wind energy

The world has billions of years before the sun burns the planet up. We ought to live here in such a way that the planet will be livable that long.

I think the planet can easily support 1 billion humans.

7 billion, ridiculous.
Reply to
despen

harry? Wrong? You don't need induction to come to that conclusion!

Reply to
krw

The iron in landfills turns to iron oxide and mixes with the other materials. I don't believe it's sufficiently concentrated to be practically recovered.

Not sure about copper.

There's lots of other important stuff in landfills that will be really hard to get back, like tungsten.

Reply to
despen

jamesgangnc used improper usenet mesage composition style by full-quoting:

A typical air foil is an airplane wing. The "foil" is cross-sectional profile - curved upper surface, flat lower surface. The foil is what gets you life when it's moved forward through the air. You create a low-pressure area on the upper surface.

I can move air with flat blade angled at 45 degrees. The blade doesn't need a foil-shaped cross section - instead it can be flat. When a flat blade is angled (any angle other than 0) and rotated, it is pushing air out of the way as it turns.

Similarly, wind that wants to move past the blade must push it aside, and in doing so it will rotate the hub. The more surface area you present to the wind (ie the wider the blade) the more rotational force you transmit to the hub.

Maybe it's all a scam. Maybe wind turbines don't need to cost a few million each, and be hundreds of feet tall with blades made from exotic materials and methods.

Explain what's wrong with my concept.

How much cross-sectional area is occupied by the blades in a water turbine as water flows past them in a hydro-electric station?

Reply to
Home Guy

The predictions may have been wrong, but the ultimate outcome is based on logic.

Ultimately we'll have a standing room only future.

Reply to
despen

Just watched a video. Every 2 weeks: Wipe off dust with dry towel. Wash with towel dampened in water, vinegar, detergent.

That doesn't sound like a lot of water.

Just looked up maintenance procedure for a solar panel inverter.

"replace every 10 years".

1.2MW:

The building is pretty big. The article says it's enough power to power

200 homes.
Reply to
despen

Basic aerodynamics/physics. A fan blade is a wing. The larger the blade, the more drag (energy loss). Fans are designed to move a large volume of air and aren't particularly concerned about how much electrical power is used to do it.

Wind tubines have the opposite requirement. The blades are designed to be as efficient as possible as the larger the blade, the more wind is required.

Reply to
Robert Neville

The function of a wing is to provide lift in a vector perpendicular to it's surface.

Please explain how or why a wind-turbine blade needs to provide lift?

It actually can't provide lift, because (a) it's not turning under it's own power, and (b) if it did produce any lift, that lift would be a vector force pointing out of the down-wind-facing surface of the blade, and would act to pull the blades forward and destabilize the support colum and topple it.

So by that logic, a sailing ship would be propelled faster (capture more wind energy) by having a small sail vs a large sail.

Great logic.

Reply to
Home Guy

Not true. The corn used to produce ethanol is what is fed to beef and pork (as well as poultry)

which is then fed to them as DDGS

If the poor Mexicans are almost starving because of the cost of tortillas, it's because they aren't growing enough corn...they aren't producing ethanol

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

But it'll be a while. A long while.

At the population density of Hong Kong, the earth's population, some six billion people, would fit in the state of Georgia.

Which, come to think on it... would be a terrible thing.

Reply to
HeyBub

It ain't the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere that counts. It is the _effect_ it has.

I hope you aren't in the "CO2 isn't a gsreenhouse gas" crowd. Or like my old man "if a little bit is good, a bunch more lot is better".

The climate is warming. Whether due to nature, to man or a combination of both can be argued but the basic fact is that it _is_ warming.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So we should just ignore the problem and go along procreating at an unsupportable rate? Just sentence our future off spring to starvation and subsistance living?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And then only during daylight.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Funny, I never figured you for a leftist. How about you first!

Reply to
krw

It does exactly the opposite. It converts "lift" into rotational energy. If the two processes aren't complementary, the world ends.

But a sail *does* have lift. Note that drag is a function of V^3.

Seem you're short a loaf, too.

Reply to
krw

It was my understanding that, before the ethanol cultists took over the U.S. government, we exported corn to Mexico. Now, corn growers turn their corn into fuel, much to the despair of Mexicans.

As a result, literally millions of Mexicans are crossing our borders in what has become known as "The Great Tortilla Quest"!

Reply to
HeyBub

Let me rephrase:

"Okay, middle-aged home owner. Once every two weeks, climb up on your roof with some soapy water..."

Do your part to keep "falls" the number one cause of emergency room admissions.

Reply to
HeyBub

Alarmist! The people in Hong Kong aren't starving!

And even if your projections of gloom do appear on the horizon, there's always sustenance in the form of sea plankton energy bars.

Reply to
HeyBub

Possibly. Some analysts demonstrate that the planet has NOT warmed by any detectable amount since 1998.

Even if the planet IS warming, it is far, far better - according to some computations - to deal with the consequences than try to mitigate a possible cause.

Reply to
HeyBub

I know maths is hard, but in simple terms:

382 / 1,000,000 = 0.000382 = 0.03%

Which is what I said.

And anybody who takes what the EPA reports as Gospel is trying to play Chinese checkers with only three marbles.

Reply to
HeyBub