New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ice Maker is the biggest problem with every brand of refrigerator. In any case, I'd not have a fridge without both ice and water. Big deal, after 7 years it needs a repair but you have lots of ice to use every day.

Cars get flat tires but yet I still drive one. Worth the risk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Icemakers take up a lot of space in the freezer. If you do not fill the freezer section up,or have a seperte freezer get the ice maker.

They do go bad. I had one to go out after after about 7 years.

BTW, hook it to the hot water line if you do not have a filter. The water heater settles a lot of trash that comes into the water line.

I would not have a frig without the ice maker and cold water in the door. However I do have a small freezer in the basement.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes but you need tires on a car but do not need and an ice maker. They do break down. If you do not use a lot of ice it is not worth it. Normal ice cube trays are all we need and I would not get one with an ice maker.

Reply to
Frank

You can buy the whole damned ice maker for around $40 these days, 2 screws and a plug. We use the hell out of 2 of them. I suppose it all depends on if you use much ice. I have had an ice maker since 1971 and I would never screw with ice trays again.

As for problems, I throw a new ice maker or maybe just the head every few years (with 2 running hard). The ones with the tray on the door and the LED level sensor are more trouble but still just a $20-30 part to fix. (The LED and sensor assembly kit)

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd recommend one with crushed ice dispenser. Crushed ice is much better.

Reply to
trader_4

Yep. Personal preference. Two plastic ice cube trays works for me.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Most of them do that now if it feeds through the door. The old GE crushers sucked but the Whirlpool models seem pretty trouble free.

Reply to
gfretwell

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you speak of. My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while. I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin. One less thing to go wrong. Works for me.

Reply to
J.Albert

You must live in a perfect world with no kids. Too many times I'd go for ice and find one cube in the tray. I love automation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sat 25 Aug 2018 11:48:28a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Agreed. I wouldn't have a refrigerator without an ice maker, although I can do without the water feature. We had a Maytag refrigerator for 7 years without a problem. The ice maker began having some issues and had it replaced - twice!

At that point we decided to buy a new refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom due to a back injury that made it very dificult for me to reach to the back of refrigeeratort shelves/crispers on the bottom. The bottom freezer pulls out like a drawer, with a second drawer above where the ice maker is mounted. Because of the pull out feature I can reach everything including the ice. This ice maker has a different design than any other I've seen, and also seems produce ice faster. This time we bought a Whirlpool. A similar Maytag fridge had features we didn't care for.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 25 Aug 2018 03:02:12p, Vic Smith told us...

I'm glad thata works for you. Unfortutnately we seem to use an incredible amount ice and an ice maker is the best solution for us. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 25 Aug 2018 07:37:38p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Hey hey! Automation is the way to go! Both our refrigerator and electric range have apps that allow you to monitor and adjust some of the features on each appliance from our smartphones. Nifty!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Well you're not much of a drinking man, are you ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I drink more iced tea than I would want to fool with trays to supply.

Reply to
gfretwell

J.Albert posted for all of us...

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic bottles.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Constantly...

Reply to
Tekkie®

If you are really serious that you use almost no ice, if you hook it up, make sure you only turn it on to make a little bit of ice at a time. They have an on/off switch. If you leave it on, the bucket will fill with several quarts of ice and if you don't use it fast enough, it winds up fusing together. You can still separate it, by whacking it with the bottom of glass or similar to knock them apart, but it's better if you only make a little at a time.

I guess whether to hook it up or not also depends on how easy or hard that is.

Reply to
trader_4

You can always pull it out, typically one plug and 2 screws. Then you free up the space. I would put it away in case I changed my mind but you could get $30-40 for it on Ebay.

Reply to
gfretwell

I asked about that and the salesman claimed it would leave holes in the bac k of it. I would mess it up anyway and probably puncture the refrigerant line . I have decided to not have it connected.

Reply to
Tekkie®