New grass lawn project ideas???

The thing they don't tell you about starting a lawn from Zoysia plugs is that Zoysia won't displace Bermuda, and if you have other grass or weeds, it'll take years for the Zoysia to fill in completely, if it ever does. One of the great things about Zoysia is that it grows relatively slowly, and isn't terribly invasive. Those are the qualities that work against you when you try to start a lawn from zoysia plugs.

Now if you do proper ground preparation, install the plugs properly, and water and fertilize properly, you just might get a nice looking lawn by the end of one growing season. Same as if you rennovated your lawn and seeded the prepared bed with one of the newer Zoysia seeds such as Zenith...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Zoyas here suck. Period. If you like your lawn to have a nice red and green Christmas appearance for about 4 years, then by all means, go for it. What you should do, is get a soil sample over to the Guilford County office and allow them to test it. They will tell you what you are lacking, what you need to do to prepare the bed, and suggest a few different grasses that will do well in this climate. Im not far from you and my grass has been mowed once since December....as in, its still green, still growing, altho very slowly while the neighbors yards are still dormant. If you have a red clay issue where you are at, lime, lime, and more lime, along with believe it or not, iron...altho the red clay gets its color from iron oxides, you will still need to throw some down to really get that deep green color. Get over to the Extensions office, find out what they need to run a soil sample for you, and let them know that you will be re-seeding and need some advice on the soil content and what to do to improve it. The list you get back might seem excessive, but if you follow it, your neighbors wil be asking you in a season or two how in hell you keep it green so long...

BTW, a neighbor of mine tried the plug method....he did this 5 years ago. there are still patches that look like a patchwork of grass.

Reply to
steve

Hello everyone,

I am new homeowner and 1 1/2 year ago when I moved in, my lawn was beautifull. Last year I killed my lawn (lack of knowledge how to move lawn, fertilizing, etc...). I didn't know anything about moving lawn, etc... This year I would like to get my lawn in shape and to be again great and green. I saw some commercial about Zoysia plugs, so I don't need to errate, fertilize and seed my lawn, just need to get those plugs and put them onto my lawn. I was thinking to get something like this and have it installed onto my lawn. Or is it better to get the old way, errate and fertilize and overseed with some nice grass seed like Bermuda or RTF... When I need to get in touch with those guys or should I wait until end of this month and begin of next month to do this project???? Is is better to do it DIY or contact some of local grass/lawn care company's???? And how expensive are they??? Do I need to get in contract with them or is it just ongoing basis??? I am located in Jamestown, (Triad area) NC, and would appreciate any advice.

Very sincerely,

Dino

Reply to
Eldin Dino Kusturica

you might want to visit a local nursery/garden store and ask them what the proper grass is for your area and the proper method and times to plant it.

Reply to
bumtracks

Different areas require different treatments and different grasses. As suggested, your local nursery or county extension office is a good place to start.

Don't follow the instructions on the fertilizer packages. Do follow the instructions of the extension office. Generally the instructions on the packages will not give you the best results. They are designed to give the producer the best profit. They want you to put it on and see a fast green up, they don't care about the long run, in fact they would rather have it not look good so you will buy more.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Phisherman