Removing kikuyu grass lawn

Hi,

Need some advice on how to remove kikuyu from the lawn. My backyard has a large lawn section where the kikuyu grass has taken over.

Its located on a terraced bed above the paved courtyard. Quite a tricky location to get to actually as there are no steps leading to it - only big rocks. A real bugger to carry the lawn mower there.

I thought of removing the kikuyu grass all together and mulching the whole area - and placing drought resistant plants there.

But one worry is that during Summer - when the area gets hot and dry - the wind will blow the debris down into the courtyard - where we hang our clothes to dry after washing.

Whats the best way to remove them - considering its winter in Melbourne Australia now?

I thought of spraying the area of roundup - then laying down newspaper - followed by mulch - and later adding the plants.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Reply to
YMC

First as the mulch would become incorporated in the soil it should not blow around too much. Also the news paper idea never went over very well, I brought that idea up many years ago with Dr. Shigo and did not find favor for the treatment. If you cut the grass low with a mower or string trimmer (watching not to injure trunk flare of trees with trimmer) and place 3-4" of mulch (composted tree trimmings, not fresh chips) on top, it should give the results desired. Also if you do have trees in this area you would want to keep the mulch away from the trunk flare at least 6". I was wondering if you had any pictures of the area? Are there any root zones of trees in this area you are treating? The Kikuyu apparently grows on runners.

Turf grass topic. Often in USA people make the mistake of using non-native turf grass in once fertile forest. It does address erosion control but is not in the interest of the trees of the forest. Kind of like putting a tourniquet around the neck for a nose bleed. Or digging fire trenches in Euc. groves for fire control..

Oh, yeah, is Kikuyu native to your area?

Reply to
symplastless

Quoted from

Hi Everyone... I have a relatively new couch lawn (about 9 months old), the trouble I have is that Kikuyu grass is slowly invading the lawn and taking over.

I spoke to the man at the local nursery who told me that since Kikuyu is a type of lawn then most of the lawn weed killers will not kill the Kikuyu (because it's a grass not a lawn).

I've tried to remove it by hand, but it's quite a large lawn and it's always beats me (ie it grows faster than I can pull it out).

The other option I have read about is to mow it very low and it will die. Trouble is that this will definitely kill my couch lawn too, which is more delicate than the Kikuyu. And I know from experience it burns badly if cut too low.

Does anyone have any ideas? Ideally I'm after a spray I can use that will kill broadleaf grass like Kikuyu but not kill the couch. I have seen a product advertised in the US called "Turflon Ester" but I'm unsure if it is ok to use on Couch and also unsure about where/if I can get it in Aus.

---------------------------------------------------- Note: The above link has a lot of annoying popups!

There are some weed twisting tools that work well on removing crabgrass and bermudagrass, which grow by runners much like Kikuyu. Unfortunately, these tools may not be available in Australia.

Search the web for "crabgrass removal" for more ideas.

Best of luck!

Reply to
raycruzer

Not exactly. But Kikuyu grass is very common here in Melbourne Australia- virtually all the Parks and nature strips and council lands employ this type of grass. It loves sun- doesn't mind our dry summer, and is tolerant of our droughts.

Back to topic - no tree in that area. Apart from a very old rosemary bush and a pretty Blue Moon rose and a hybrid rose, the rest is just weed.

Reply to
YMC

Accept the good with the bad. Find SERENITY specifically accepting the things we cannot change. Our desire to control nature is not in our best interest, most of the time, I believe. I just got the bulls eye for Lyme disease. My thought, I fought nature and mature one. If I was not out there clearing the area where the woods meet the field, to plant grass, I would not have Lyme disease. I would like to do a better job, myself, in working with nature and not against it. Here where we live in the USA if its green than its grass. People with monoculture lawns not only compromise ground water but have brown lawns in August while ours with clover gets free fertilizer (nitrogen) without compromise of ground water and stays green.

When you find the chemical you are looking for you might find some useful information about some of the harmful effects of the chemical at these sites: Please look under PESTICIDE ISSUES, Alternatives and more

symplastless

I wonder if the grass fixes nitrogen like our clover? Clover stays green and seems to tolerate our dry and hot August month.

Reply to
symplastless

I don't mind clover - but the kikuyu grass is like barbed wire growing into the flower beds. Once they get out of control - they literally strangle the roses and other plants to death.

I also have buffalo grass- very nice. slow and very much less invasive than the kikyuyu.

Reply to
YMC

A propane torch may be of some help or satisfaction.

Reply to
Billy

f the

A propane torch won't kill or remove the roots like this drill-powered turbo thing:

optional, Herbicides obsolete!

Reply to
ray.cruz