Using round-up on path next to lawn?

I want to spray roundup on the plants creeping up through the cracks in a brick walkway, but its next to my lawn. Has anyone done this and messed up their grass edge? Does it leach out and kill the grass too?

Any tips welcomed!

Dean

Reply to
dean

It is perfectly safe used for that. It does not leach. In fact it goes inert almost as soon as it touches the ground. It also has no residual effect - only kills what is green and growing when sprayed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Spray when the wind is calm. Around here that's rather problematic as the wind blows more or less constantly. Roundup is absorbed through the leaves. As long as you don't get any overspray on your grass it will not be harmed. Even if you do get a little overspray on the grass it will probably survive (of course this depends on the type of grass). I live in western Texas where most lawns are bermuda. If you want to kill a bermuda lawn it takes several applications of Roundup to do a reasonable job.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

I have started the habit of using left over boiling tea pot water to pour over the weeds in my paver walk. It seems to work very well.

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

To keep my brick patio and walkways clear of sprouting plants, here's what I've done with good success for the past three growing seasons.

Get a pre-emergent herbicide product called "Preen", or a similar one from Miracle Grow. Sprinkle it on the brick and work it into the cracks with a broom. You don't need a lot, Lightly water the brick.

Voila! you will have no unwanted sprouts for the remainder of the growing season. It has really been worth it to me, since I have nearby bird feeders which afford a good supply of seeds to sprout in the cracks.

This won't work on grass which spreads via its roots. For that, I would just pull out the interlopers. Roundup could also be used with the previously mentioned cautions.

Good luck! Tom

Reply to
Milwaukee Tom

Thanks everyone, its great to have some idea before doing this!

Cheers,

Dean

Reply to
dean