New furnace

That's the commonly accepted terms. If you walk into a supply house and say you need a part for your furnace, they will take it to mean it's an air based system. But Clarabelle up there in Canada apparently disagrees.

Reply to
trader_4

That was HIS definition and opininion.

You are both wrong. or at least pedantic.

Oxford Online Dictionary: fur·nace

noun

noun: furnace; plural noun: furnaces

an enclosed structure in which material can be heated to very high temperatures, e.g., for smelting metals.

?North American an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

?used to describe a very hot place. "her car was a furnace"

or

an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to generate steam, destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc. 2. a very hot or stifling place. furnace-like, adjective. ... C13: from Old French fornais, from Latin fornax oven, furnace; related to Latin formus warm. ?Furnace · ?Recuperative furnace · ?Gas furnace · ?Holding furnace

or

From Merriam Webster: : an enclosed structure in which heat is produced (as for heating a house or for reducing ore) chiefly US one for heating a building or apartment ? called also (chiefly British) boiler

Cambrige dictionary:

a container that is heated to a very high temperature, so that substances that are put inside it, such as metal, will melt or burn:

People who work with furnaces in a steel factory need to wear protective clothing.

This room's like a furnace (= is very hot)!

US a piece of equipment for heating a building:

It's cold in here - should I turn on the furnace?

or, from Wikipedia:

A furnace is a device used for high-temperature heating. The name derives from Greek word fornax, which means oven.

In American English and Canadian English usage, the term furnace on its own refers to the household heating systems based on a central furnace (known either as a boiler, or a heater in British English), and sometimes as a synonym for kiln, a device used in the production of ceramics. In British English, a furnace is an industrial furnace used for many things, such as the extraction of metal from ore (smelting) or in oil refineries and other chemical plants, for example as the heat source for fractional distillation columns.

The term furnace can also refer to a direct fired heater, used in boiler applications in chemical industries or for providing heat to chemical reactions for processes like cracking, and is part of the standard English names for many metallurgical furnaces worldwide.

The heat energy to fuel a furnace may be supplied directly by fuel combustion, by electricity such as the electric arc furnace, or through induction heating in induction furnaces.

Reply to
clare

"Boiler" never does it for me if its not making steam, but that's because I was a boilerman in the Navy. I never say boiler when talking residential heat unless it's steam. I just say hot water heating or forced air to keep it simple. Everybody seems to get that.

Reply to
Vic Smith

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 10:00:54 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wro te:

upply hot water for your house?

ted to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

furnace

se or for reducing ore)

The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces". Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace. Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system? Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a part for a boiler.

Reply to
trader_4

(Dictionary definitions snipped)

There sure are a lot of "pedantic" companies and government agencies out there...

I could go on (and on).

I'll stick with the definitions/descriptions from those in the heating industry.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you are correct,

except that IN THIS CASE the context is a home owner who is not a heating equipment expert, asking a question about their heating system.

Reply to
makolber

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

taxpayer

Which I acknowledged in my first post.

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, you got one piss ant manufacturer that nobody ever heard of that sells heat pump systems, that used that as a cute name for their product line. When you can show us Rheem, Trane, Weil-McLain, Goodman, Burnhan, ie that the majors call boilers furnaces and vice-versa, then I'll agree you have something. Show us even one of the majors. If you walked into a supply house for a part for a boiler, would you refer to it as a "furnace" at the counter?

Reply to
trader_4

I think use of either term in acceptable. Furnace is a more generic term that requires further explanation to fully define the heating system. If you use the word boiler, the other party instantly knows you are referring to some kind of hot water heating or propulsion system, but they will not know if you are talking about steam or circulating hot water without further description.

One large HVAC contractor publishes a glossary of terms and they define furnace as follows:

Furnace

The major component in heating a home. A device that facilitates the combustion of fuel and air to create heat.

Let's face it, if you are buying parts, you have to provide a make, model and description, so, this argument is kind of silly. I suppose if one wants to be precise, one would refer to the type of heating system, e.g. gas fired forced hot air, oil fired baseboard radiant heat, coal fired steam, electric heat pump, etc.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Except trader didn't read the article. A "water furnace" is a water/ground source heat pump.

Reply to
clare

How about an "outdoor woodburning furnace" like the heatmaster.

and Northern Stoker
or the "heatmor" from greenvalley
or the "polarfurnace"
and it's not just a Canadian thing - Heatmor is located in Warroad, MN

And how about a "hydronic furnace"

and

Also look up Rinnai AHB60 60,000 BTU/Hr Hydronic Furnace

Reply to
clare

On 11/18/16 11:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote: Also look up Rinnai AHB60 60,000 BTU/Hr Hydronic Furnace

Good. Then there will be the Northwest Passage shipping companies can use.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Of course I read it Clarabelle. What in my reply makes you think I didn't? It's one piss ant manufacturer that uses a cute name. The major manufacturers of furnaces and boilers know what to call them and don't need cute marketing names. Walk into a supply house, where the pros go, mention furnace and see what the guy at the counter thinks you mean. You're an embarrassment to Canada.

Reply to
trader_4

Except we burn wood in them things, not coal -----

Reply to