new electric range, conventianl eyes, or glass top

I'm looking for opnions on the pros and cons of getting convetinal eyse, vs a glass cooktop for a new electric range I need to buy.

What has been peoples experience hre?

Do the glass tops hold up OK, or do they get scratche looking? Do they heat up as fast as conventianl eyes? How is the temperature regulation on them?

Reply to
Stan Brown

I replaced my old conventional electric cooktop with a glass one and am very pleased with it, especially the ease of cleanup. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Elec cooktops are good but remember Electricity for most of US is more then double the cost of NG per BTU. Conversion should be a consideration

Reply to
m Ransley

We've been very disappointed with our Sears glass top. All four burners quickely acquired a black stain that we have been unable to clean. One burner even has a 6" diameter coal black stain. These are not simply the result of faulty maintenance. We had another glass stove prior to this and didn't have this problem. We've done all the cleaning according to directions and we've even resorted to such extremes as a concentrated NaOH caustic solution - all with no success. These stains are clearly a discoloration of the glass itself.

We would not buy another, but if you do, be careful of the Schott Ceran tops at Sears.

- Tom

Reply to
GigaNews

We bought a Fridgidare glass top range about six months ago, so far, so good! Glass tops preheat a bit slower than standard electric ranges, after the preheat they are pretty much simular in cooking. We have had no problem with stains, although getting baked on spills are a bit fun. We use the cook top cleaner that came with the stove, and carefull use of a single edge razor blade for the tough stuff. We would buy one again. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

My aunt has some brand or another that was the only kind she could get for her countertop range and no matter how many times the repair people came out, she can't keep the burners from getting too hot and burning things. But her previous one was fine -- but it was a different brand.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

== Hmm...Perhaps you have a defective unit? I have a 1 year old Kenmore Elite smoothtop (black glass) and it has performed flawlessly and the top is as new. I wipe spills promptly as I'm sure most folks do. I use Weiman's cleaner and a Chore Boy several times a week after dinner and use a blade for burn-ons. I *never* reheat a burner with spills on it--it only takes seconds to clean them off. The glass top is much easier to maintain than a coil top. My top has its original deep shine and no scratches. The heat adjustments on my range are very responsive with lots of power (800-2600 watts) with a low watt simmer/warmer burner for a fifth element. == ==

Reply to
Gini

Flawless and blissful.

We have a Thermador, and cooking is a hobby for us both. Originally had planned on a Wolfe gas, but were not enthralled with the excessive ventilation requirements here, locally.

Three years of use, the Thermador looks as good as the day it was installed.

5 burners, 9 combinations, _instant_ heat, excellent control of temps. Someone remind me why I need the hassle of cleaning a gas cooktop again.

These are remarkable cooktops.

Reply to
Dick Shenary

I looked around for over a year trying to fig out waht to buy when I renovated my kitchen. People that had glass either loved it or hated it... seems there was no middle ground. I like the control of a flame, but the thought of an easy to clean top was temping. I said Frig-it and bought a 48" Viking (In white and stainless no less). glad I did... how often does stuff spill all over the top? with glass, if alot spills, it runs into the other pots cooking on the stove top. But, with regular burners, the stuff just sits in the little pan... no big deal.. pan goes right into the dishwasher. Xmfard

Reply to
Xmfard

buy one again.

Hi,

Some consumer opinions.....

We have had ours for about 5 years now and have had no problems with it, 3 teens have not been about to break it yet ;)

Controlling the heat is the same between the coils and glass top but the glass top does take a little longer to heat up at the beginning.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

My glass top heats up very rapidly. Perhaps lower end units are slower? =

Reply to
Gini

Had same problem. We did however buy the service contract and sears installed a new top last week.

Reply to
TigerPaw40

They cook fine, look good, and clean easily. If you're prone to boilovers, be warned they may either flow off the cooktop or permanently etch it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael S. Trachtenberg

Yes, we obviously have a defective unit. We complained to sears right away, but to no avail. \\

The point I was trying to make is that it is possible to get a "defective" unit and at least one other person on this thread had a similar problem.

If you buy one, get the maintenance contract.

Reply to
GigaNews