Glass top Range

Is there anything at all in this world where there isn't a difference of opinion? If you want some input, choose a specific model and check it out on Epinions or Amazon. Both sites have reviews and you'll definitely get both sides of the arguments.

RicodJour

Anone wish they had not bought one?

Reply to
Terry

Just buy a black one. The white ones are a bitch to keep white.

Reply to
gfretwell

Energy efficient and cleans really easy compared to other types: what's not to like? Do you have a particular problem with it?

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 284914 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

Yes, mostly those that have dropped something on it and found out it cost $300 for the new glass top part. Not saying you shouldn't buy one, but they aren't well suited to some applications. For example, I know someone who bought the whole range for $350 and had a renter crack it within a few months. He chose to leave it with the chip and crack, as it still works OK.

Reply to
trader4

Yep, I have a black one and really like the way it cleans up.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Been using it for past 7 years. The pluses: Very easy to clean. Looks brand new even after cooking every single day for 7 years. I have a black one made by GE.

Minuses: The cookware must be absolutely flat bottomed. Anything else will wobble. I like to flame broil egg plant and bell peppers and other things. You can't do that unless you have a grill. That's my problem though.

I'm getting a gas range in my next house. I don't hate this one per se but I want a gas range. that's all.

Reply to
janesire

Just wished that I didn't choose a white Top !

Reply to
David B.

"Terry" wrote

Many people find they do not like them but some do. What I notice is cooking shows never use them.

They are supposed to be a bit more energy efficient (so I gather) but they can be damaged ralatively easily and you have to have super perfect pots and pans (very flat bottomed) to get a proper heating out of them.

I use cast iron pans and several kettles on my gas range. I'd have to change my cooking style (pots etc) too much to want to ever think of getting a glass top range. I actually turned down an apartment once because it was all spiffy glass top stuff. Took a different place for 50$ more a month with a real stove . Thats just _my_ opinion though. I cook alot.

Reply to
cshenk

This thread seems to be edging towards gas vs. electric. That's a valid enough topic for discussion but I'm assuming not really what the OP was looking for.

I don't regret it. Ours is 12 years old and still looks pretty good. Of course we try not to drop stuff on it but it has held up much better than I had hoped for. Ours is a Whirpool with dark grey top.

It is a bit harder to clean now than when new and a small spot where a platic bag melted onto the surface seems to be irremovable. On the other hand it took much less than 12 years on our previous ring top stove to get to the point where the bowls and chrome rings were beyond the ability to bring back to fully clean.

The pots and pans they sell around here tend to have pretty flat bottoms anyway so I think this limitation tends to be overdramatized. Here again I think any limitation on types of pots used, round bottom woks or griddles for instance, is related to gas vs. electric stove top as opposed to electric cermaic vs. electric ring top stove.

Reply to
Jeff

It is easy, through a little carelessness, to get pans warped a little bit, and that keeps them from cooking properly. I hate glass top, would rather have gas burners. When I had a gas range and bought new anodized aluminum cookware, I discovered that I could cook the same amount while using about half as much gas - kept the burners turned very low in comparison to former cookware. It's taken me about 5 years to get used to my glass cooktop and a few good fights with hubby about why pans with warped bottoms are no good :o) On old stainless with warped bottoms, I can burn part of the food black and not even thaw the other half :o)

As for cleaning, a razor scraper gets the hard stuff. Denatured alcohol gets the grease, even burnt on. Barkeeper's for the rest.

Reply to
Norminn

We used to have an electric stainless steel cooktop with spiral burners. Then we got fancy and replaced the spirals with glass. It took us one week to realize that there is no advantage whatsoever to glass tops, except that they have that "modern look".

Glass top burners are high maintenance and expensive to replace. They do not heat as fast and efficiently as spiral elements. Just like so much else in life today: We make life unnecessarily complicated and our decisions are driven by appearance rather than by substance.

After one week, we took out the glass burners and put our old spirals back in. Spirals are self-cleaning and require no maintenance, period. We saved the glass burners for the time when we sell the house and can impress prospective buyers with their modern look.

Reply to
Walter R.

Most everyone I know that has/had one. Look pretty and they go down hill from there. Easily broken, fussy about the cookware used.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski